Cover for Vortech, need some ideas

vonjankmon

Reefing newb
So I have an MP40 in my tank, I also have 4 seahorses so the MP40 always has one of the sponge covers or sleeves on it to prevent my little guys from losing a tail.

The problem I am having is that the sponge gets clogged easily, reducing the flow from the MP40 significantly. Not to mention that cleaning the covers is a pain in the butt, detritus gets stuck in it and a simple rinse through the sink doesn't do it. I've found the least annoying way is to just toss it in the washer, I try and wash a bunch at once but it's still kind of a waste of water, even on the smallest load setting.

I was thinking of trying to find some type of screen and using one of the sponge covers as a template making a cover from the screen. I just need to keep the little seahorse tails out of it not capture detritus. I was thinking of trying the mesh you can buy at the craft store for knitting but while the holes in that are the right size to keep any seahorse tail out it's a bit rigid and I'm not sure how well it will work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I looked at some mesh that BRS had but the smallest they have is the 1/2 inch mesh, which just isn't small enough.

You could try putting that plastic mesh in some hot water to help soften it up. If the hot water doesnt work, boil some water and let it sit in there a few seconds to a minute. Should become very pliable. Make several that fit snugly on the intake. That way you can swap them out and clean it with a tooth brush. You will still collect stuff on there, but I think it would be a good start.

Two good suggestions, would the bridal veil material hold up well though?

I think I'll stop by Michaels and Jo-anne Fabrics later today and look around. I don't mind cleaning the covers if I can do it without having to use the washer.

There is that flexible plastic sheeting material that would work well at a craft store its used for stitching and other things id look into that. It is the kind that has all the squares used for cross stitching i think

There is that flexible plastic sheeting material that would work well at a craft store its used for stitching and other things id look into that. It is the kind that has all the squares used for cross stitching

And you know this how? :shock:

Back