Covering overflows?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I just ordered my next fish and this one is a jumper (Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse) - I've already got the materials to make a screen top (yay for projects for tomorrow night) but I'm wondering if I should screen off the top of my overflow box as well? My tail-spot blenny already got herself caught in my overflow box last week and I'm thinking I need to do something to keep my little friends out of it. What's the best way to screen it off? I thought about gluing the screening material to the top but then I won't be able to get in there to do maintenance as needed. It's an HOB overflow box with a siphon tube going to the second part on the back of the tank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks North.... but the one I have is an HOB overflow box, about 4x2" with the siphon tube coming straight up the middle and over the top. The one you linked to is for drilled tank overflows and 10" wide (I really wish I had a drilled tank, but too late now lol). I checked out the products page to see if he made any for HOB boxes, but it doesn't look like he does....

Another thought: Could I just cover the siphon tube with screening material instead of the whole overflow box?

Thanks North.... but the one I have is an HOB overflow box, about 4x2" with the siphon tube coming straight up the middle and over the top. The one you linked to is for drilled tank overflows and 10" wide (I really wish I had a drilled tank, but too late now lol). I checked out the products page to see if he made any for HOB boxes, but it doesn't look like he does....

Another thought: Could I just cover the siphon tube with screening material instead of the whole overflow box?

Yes. I would rubber band a piece of screen over the tube. That way it's easily removable.

Back