Crab ID website

bjohanson1234

OK last night I saw a huge crab in my tank. Dont know where he is today and couldnt get a pic. Just wondering if there is a good web site with some good pics of different types of crabs on it.

Here is a description as best as I can recall.

It is a stocky crab. Legs and claws were short and stubby. Pretty much the size of a golf ball. Just a bit wider than it is long.

It is black or a really dark brown with red eyes. Didnt seem to move very fast but was gone by the time I got to the camera and havent seen it yet since then. But it has to have been in the tank for quite some time. No new rock has been added in a long while.

Thanks for your help
Brian

Dude that's one ugly ass crab!! I'd be freaked the hell out if I saw that thing in my tank :evil:

Do you know which rock it's living in? The easiest way is to isolate its rock, then remove the rock. You can then either do a quick freshwater dip of the rock, or squirt freshwater into the rock to get it out, or put the rock in a separate container and lure it out with bait.

If you don't know which rock it's in, you may want to set a trap for it. I know Yote has some good suggestions for crabbing, I expect he'll be on soon and can help out more!

as usual, it is one of the bottom back ones. Havent noticed any of my zoas missing of even looking damaged so I am pretty sure he either doesnt have a taste for them or hasnt found them..... Yet. But yea he is one ugly mofo

You've probably had it for a while or since you last added rock. He may not eat any of your corals ever.

He's crying out, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." :lol:

Oh I know I have had him for a long time. I havent gotten any new rock in over a year except for the little pieces that frags come on. So he has had to survive a tank crash and several months of not feeding anything!!!!. And thrived.

I think he is kind of cool looking actually. So he will probably just go in the sump when I do catch him. Just dont want him to like aquire the taste of corals.

Brian

I'd be more worried about the fish than the corals.
And as big as he is,I highly doubt that he's living in a hole in the rock.
Have you ever been crabbin? :D
Take something like a clam strip,raw table shrimp,or something of that nature and tie some fishing line on it.Get your net handy and drop the bait in the tank.Once the crab has grabbed the bait,just pull him up close to the water surface and get your net under him.Once the nets under him,pull him out.
Simple as that.

Back