Crab identification (w/pic)

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
It is whitish with red eyes. It's probably 1.5 inches. I didn't add it to the tank, it is a hitchiker.

P1010253.jpg

Try googling xanthid crab. That's what it look like to me, but kinda hard to tell form the pic. I have one in my tank. Did great for quite some time then starting eating all me snails and might have got a fish to but don't know for sure.

Try googling xanthid crab. That's what it look like to me, but kinda hard to tell form the pic. I have one in my tank. Did great for quite some time then starting eating all me snails and might have got a fish to but don't know for sure.

Thanks for the advice Bobby. Now that I think of it, I have noticed some empty snail shells around his "living" area.

This crab is a hitch-hiker.

Did you add yours manually or did it come in on the rock?

Ssalty,

White and red leads me to think it's a porcelain crab. If you look closely at your pic, it shows (albeit with bad lighting) reddish/brown "freckles"....this is indicative of a Porcelain crab......

Ssalty,

White and red leads me to think it's a porcelain crab. If you look closely at your pic, it shows (albeit with bad lighting) reddish/brown "freckles"....this is indicative of a Porcelain crab......

Thanks for the insight, however it's not a porcelain crab. There is no red on the body, just on the eyes.

Last edited:
I didn't add mine came in on a piece of live rock I had it for a long time before I ever noticed it. I kept an eye on it after I found it and put it in my sump after all my snails and conchs started dying off real fast. I put it in the sump with a piece of softer very pourous rock and it actuall dug out a hole in the rock and lived in it.

I didn't add mine came in on a piece of live rock I had it for a long time before I ever noticed it. I kept an eye on it after I found it and put it in my sump after all my snails and conchs started dying off real fast. I put it in the sump with a piece of softer very pourous rock and it actuall dug out a hole in the rock and lived in it.

Bobby, how did you get him out without harming him? I don't want to kill him as I didn't intentionally put him in my tank. He deserves a chance too.

Also, now it makes sense that there was a misterious hole in my live rock for a couple years. I didn't think nothing off it until I found the crab.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I found the hole he was in and poked around in it with a pen. He had a escape side and came out the other side. When he came out I tossed him in the sump. I fed it a piece of silver side every now and then. I wont kill mine, but have been looking for someone with a mantis to give it to. If it's nature then it's not killing.LOL

Back