Crab problem

diver

Reefing newb
has anyone removed a sally lightfoot crab from a tank without destroying the tank?
I want to move it out before it causes a problem, but I'm thinking I need to trap it somehow.
any suggestions?

Mine got trapped in my overflow. I guess it just climbed over the top. I fished it out with a net and a skinny piece of tubing. I used the tubing to push it into the net. If i had to get it out of my DT ... i would just assume pull all my hair out now and forget about it.

Have you ever been to the coast and gone crabbing?
There is an easier way to catch them without taking the rock out.All you need is some fishing line,a piece of table shrimp,and your net.
Tie the raw shrimp to the line and drop it close to the crab.When hit starts feeding on it,slowly ease the crab up enough to get your net under him.Or stand the net in a corner of the tank and slowly drag the crab into the net.
It may take several trys,but it beats moving all your rock and stressing everything in the tank.

Give it a try.It works.
I also use the fishing method to catch fish.Just use a barbless hook and use the net to handle the fish,Dont hurt them at all.

I had two problem sally lightfoots in my old 55. They killed a few of my fish. I tried everything, Yote's fishing idea, crab traps, etc. The only way I finally got rid of them was when I upgraded to my 240 and I had to take all my rocks out. They are the fastest little crabs out there.

Rats, Bifferwine!
This little guy I got is a rocket. He is getting close to 3 inches across now.
I am going to try yote's idea and keep my fingers crossed.

Have you ever been to the coast and gone crabbing?
There is an easier way to catch them without taking the rock out.All you need is some fishing line,a piece of table shrimp,and your net.
Tie the raw shrimp to the line and drop it close to the crab.When hit starts feeding on it,slowly ease the crab up enough to get your net under him.Or stand the net in a corner of the tank and slowly drag the crab into the net.
It may take several trys,but it beats moving all your rock and stressing everything in the tank.

What no TNT????????
Will have to try that if ever I need to.

Brian

Back