Crab sheeding skin

Centuras

Reefing newb
Hello All.
I got a little crab that was a stowaway in a piece of live rock i brought,
It has sheed is skin in ontop of the live rock it lives in 2 days ago and I wake up this morning to find another one on the ground infront of the rock it lives in,
His still alive cause the girlfriend seen him eating this morning i was wondering is this normal to shed so quiclkly again ??
I know they usually eat the sheeded skin to gain the calcium from it.

Im a little confused ??

Good Question very well asked I got no idea what type of crap, My tanks only been running for bout 2 months and he hides in his rock all time ive seen him a few times, but mainly his claw when his eating the algae ill have a look at some pic's and see if i can find out what type it is.
Im not feeding him anything cause he was eating of the rock. should I be ?

Searched Google got no idea,
I pulled the two shells out one fell apart in my hand and the second stayed in tack which i believe to be the dead crab, Me and the GF still think there is a crab inside the small holes of the rock.
Ive added a attachment of the crap thats still intact for an ID, and too know if its a goodie or baddie.
Gonna test water level tomoz morning to make sure everything is cool, could be the tank finishing it cycle from the new live rock I put in a week bout 2 weeks ago. ??
find out soon.

Thanks all

Attachments

• P1183126.jpg
    P1183126.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,237
Looks like a predator to me. Those claws say, "Built for hunting" to me though it could just be a mithrax

Last edited:
Thats what I was just thinking Justin.It looks like the claws are sharp and pointed in the pic.If they are,then that lil guy is a predator and needs to be delt with.
And its also possible there are 2 of em,which could account for 2 molts.

Sharp pointed claws usually indicate a predator.

If the claws are dull on the end and look like little round flat pads - usually a reef safe scavenger.

Back