Crab Trap

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
Anyone know a good way to catch or trap a crab? Seems I have a hitchhiker that has grown fairly large, has himself inside a hole in a piece of live rock and isn't about to come out without a fight. I tried a couple silversides, one on a feeding stick (which he just pulled off and retreated back in) and one on a piece of fishing line (which he was able to hold onto long enough to get out of the knot). I'm really on a mission as I feel he is a predator and not good for the tank.:death:

Try the ole tilted glass trick. Put a glass in your tank and put something meaty in the bottom. Tilt the glass leaning on a rock and the crab will walk down to the meaty item but wont be able to walk back up.

RC, he's too big for the bottle trap. I just repositioned the rock with his hole facing down into a pilsner glass. At th bottom of the glass is a nice whole silverside. I'm hoping he'll come out to get it and WHAM! He's mine. Then again, he maybe smart enough to just stay in his rock and hope another dead silverside swims up to him, lol.

Well 24 hours in and he has not come out to get the silverside in the glass. I'm wondering if maybe a dip into a bucket of RO might coax him out. My only concern is that I have 2 large feather dusters on the rock. What do you guy think.

You could take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water from a water change and place rock rubble, bio balls, hair curllers, or something that will support the weight of the rock into the bottom and then put the rock up on top of that stuff. The crab will come out to feed and naturally go down towards the bottom to feed and then hide in the other stuff instead of coming back up to the DT rock. Just an idea.

Drop a 1/4 stick of dynimite in there:mrgreen:

Try the bait and string again,except tie a better a knot in it:D

well if you are a member of the 'crabs are evil society' you could use the secret trick of taking a clean wood awl with a thin piercing end and simply stick it into the hole at sufficient depth to pierce the predator, most likely also allowing you to pull it out and be the best predator for the moment...... :twocents:

Ummmm yeah! Tried that. I tried the silverside yet again, this time tied in 2 knots, one at the head, and one at the tail. He'd grab it and hold onto it but as I tried to pull him out he would let go and scurry back in the rock. I left the glass in with a silverside at the bottom, he still didn't come out to get it. As of this morning he has moved, I think he finally got tired of me jabbing at him and shining the flash light on him. However he is in an easier place for me to get to him I think. It appears like he burrowed his way under one of the base rocks. So as of right now I have all rock cleared from that one, sealed up the hole he made in the sand and am awaiting my buddy to come over and help me wrangle this little bastard out.

So my buddy never showed up. I finallt bit the bullet and pulled the rock apart down to the one he was under. I already wanted him out, but discovered he pulled a frag of white pom pom zenias under with him, so now it was dead or alive.

Needless to say............I won FINALLY!:bouncycig
IMG_1697.jpg

It'd take a truck load of crabs that size to make a crab cake:D
Congratulations on catchin that rascal.

I hate em.. there evil little critters... at least they look like they are..

Maybe it's because they remind me of spiders... me+spider=dead spider

Back