Crabs

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I found a crab in my tank that must of hitchhiked on the piece of rock I bought a few weeks ago. I took it out and put in QT tank because I found it on my coral and now it seems to be dying. Do crabs kill corals? Also does anyone know of a good web site that has pics of crabs? I've been searching the web but no luck so far. I'll post a pic tomarrow if it's still alive.

When I first saw it I thought it was a spider. It's lite brown color it's claws are curved. No other color on it. I'll have to take a pic if it's still alive. I was kind of ruff on trying to get it off my coral.

What kind of coral was it on?

I have two in mine,one that looks like a jumping spider-bad,bad,bad.They eat zoos.

The other an acro crab.Reef safe.
You did mention curved claws,those usually are reef safe.

Went down and looked at it again. It's light brown, looks, hairy,looks like it has stripes on it's legs, diamond shape back, kind of oval longated claws, one looks a little larger then the other. He gives be the creeps. He was on my trumpet coral and one of the stalks has bleached and is dying.

It doesn't ring any bells.It does somewhat sound like a Sally Lightfoot.
It doesn't sound like a crab that eats corals,maybe fish but not corals.It wouldn't make a coral bleach,thats for sure.I would keep in QT to be on the safe side and if you can,get a pic.

damn crabs i have one in my tank that is white with black tip pinchers, doesn't hurt corals just steals shells, i think its called a rock crab, but i can't catch it for crap.

kill it. grab a thick mixture of seasalt and RO water, chase it down and shoot your load all over it. You will kill it and feel a great sense of relief!

-Doc

when in doubt, kill it. that is my motto

-Doc

its like when i found the cone snail in my 180 at night.... didnt know if it was a worm, snail, or the ever so deadly fish eating species that will almost for sure kill you if you get harpooned. didnt matter i didnt wait to find out, i ripped that S.O.B. out as fast as i could and killed it

Here's a pic.

Crab.jpg

something that size, if I didn't buy it, takes a ride down the porcelain waterslide

-Doc

Back