Cracked 30g bin DOH!!!

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I was sitting in chat, having a nice lively civilized conversation, like we always do in chat (yep), when all of a sudden, I hear a GUSHING from my sump room -- gushing like someone pulled the plug off a fire hydrant.

I ran to my sump room to find my 33g trash bin that I had new saltwater warming, getting ready for a water change, had split down the side!! I of course start laughing maniacally and screaming for the hubby who was upstairs trying to plug the leak with my arm LOL

I manage to tilt it sideways to get the waterlin below the crack, but by then, 15g had already gushed out. We tried to lift it and MORE gushing as another crack formed at the bottom. More laughter from me.

Finally we scooped out the water w/ another bucket as much as we could, and poured the rest in the tub.

Luckily, it was in the basement utility room, which has a cement floor and a small drain pipe. Some got on the carpet, but thank heavens for my bissell. Sucked all the water up from the carpet.

Could've been worse! Could've been my tank :D Good thing I was up late and in the basement!!

OH and I have to add that I'm lucky I did not get electricuted! I had a power strip in there for the powerheads and heaters in the trash bins. I only put it in there when I make water. But after I tilted the trash bin, I looked down and saw tha tthe power strip that had 2 heaters and 2 pumps plugged in was on my WET FEET, which were standing in about 1/2" of water!!!!!!! :shock:

I thought it had a crack at the base; but actually, it cracked on both sides!

2012-08-06010158.jpg

2012-08-06010219.jpg

maybe you did!!! yup i jusr checked google and found the exact same pic. i think ur making this all up just to talk to us. u dont have to be cool to hang lol

on a serious note that sucks

u dont have to be cool to hang lol

But I *am* cool!! At least that's what my mom always tells me :mrgreen:

I giggled over "civilized conversation" in chat. HA!

Civilized by chat standards? :Cheers:

That has happened to me too! How old was the trash can? I think they just get old and brittle over time.

It was maybe a year old, but the funny thing is, I only used it a few times, and when I normally DID use it, it was just to fill it up with old tank water, and i would drain it right after. In between uses, it would stay empty until my next water change. I wouldn't move it while full....I would just siphon it into the sump room's drain pipe. It was a cheap POS. some off brand. The rubbermaid trashcan I use to store my ATO water has been used for maybe 2 years and is constantly full, and so far (fingers crossed!) no leaks whatsoever. Paranoid now, though!!

makes sense. I'm going on vaca soon...now I"m paranoid about leaving my rubbermaid that's been so trustworthy full LOL Maybe I'll just fill it halfway. It should last a week. :mrgreen:

And how ironic, now even my rubbermaid trash bin has sprung a micro leak as well. It seems to be at the bottom. So as long as I don't move it, it should be fine. It's a race against time right now!! I'm warming up the water, preparing for another water change. Let's hope it doesn't burst open while I'm warming it hehehehehe.

Back