Crazy Cajun's 90 Gallon Build !!

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
Building my first Saltwater Tank, assembled my stand and canopy and now staining it ,bought some Fiji live rock with nice Corraline on it from someone moving and getting rid of their tank

Attachments

• P4261576.jpg
    P4261576.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 572
  • P4221569.jpg
    P4221569.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 509
  • P4261583.jpg
    P4261583.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 445
  • P4261591.jpg
    P4261591.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 435
  • P4261581.jpg
    P4261581.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 762
Looks like a very nice setup, I wouldnt use those bio balls though, they will turn into to nitrate factories.

Way to get the ball rolling. If I were you before you start plumbing, return that little sump and just get a larger glass tank to put in your stand. I have a 75 so our stands will be the same (90 is just higher) and you can fit a 30 gallon in there.

You silicon some smaller pieces of glass in which will be baffles. You can choose to add a fuge or not. The baffles will act as micro bubble stoppers. I have my hose coming from the bulkhead of the tank running down into a filter sock in the one corner of the sump. I hold the sock in place with two plastic Irwin clamps. Small adjustable guys that hold the sock firmly into place and won't corrode.

Thanks for the advice guys im going to scrap the wet/dry with bio balls and go with the 30 gal refugium i found some great info on the DIY forum. ill post some pics of it later this week when i get it set up,and what up with the chaeto i see people using???whats it for. thanks again
Kevin

Last edited:
thanks for all the great info that the LFS does not tell you LOL, now im building a 30 gal Fuge can i use 1/4" Plexi glass for the inner divider walls???

i used 1/4 in plexi and the baffle has came apart twice now i just think i have to much water that it is trying to hold back

i used 1/4 in plexi and the baffle has came apart twice now i just think i have to much water that it is trying to hold back
50g holds a lot of water that needs to be held back. Not to change the topic but, have you thought of trying glass baffles?

i have but trying to bond glass to acrylic is still going to be a problem. i just need to get some weld-on and bond the tank and baffle together. i have used silicone, and epoxy but it still seperates at the seam just becasue it does not get a good bond the 1/4in does not flex that much at all but after awhile the seam lets go

How lose are your baffles?

My baffles barely slid into place, broke two tanks trying to get them right. Once I got them in silcone bead on and I have had no problems. YET...

they are not loose at all there is about a hair length of space from the baffle to the tank but silicone does not stick to acrylic very well at all and bot the tank and baffles are acrylic

Back