Crazy Glowing worm in tank... What is it...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Hey everybody.... Last night I turned my lights off to go to bed and about 15 min later I see a glowing thing in my tank... First off, it looked like one of those glow sticks you use at holloween only tiny... It was about an inch or two and was as thin as a pencil lead... It was weird because the glowing stuff was literally coming off of the body and difusing into the water... I didn't get a picture, but if I see it again I will be sure to take one... Also, when I turned the flashlight on and pointed it at the creature it stopped glowing... Any ideas on what this creature was?

No idea what it is.But think of how cool it would be if you could breed those to sale for the hobby.

Looks like you have something thats bioluminescent.I saw it on the Discovery channel ''Blue Planet'' but they were deep water where no light penetrates.There were fish,copepods,shrimps and worms that display that characteristic.They either use it for defense,to lure prey or to luminate their surroundings.How did you get something like that is beyond me.

make sure nemo doesn't go near it tho, last time he tried that, the angler just about got him and dory...:mrgreen:

-Doc

lol yeah...... or at least drop some dive masks in there to save them.. wish I could have a dumbo octopus. anypne ever seen that underater beauty?

yeah red Those things Rock.

? do you have an anoemone? I know when i had my 55 and was dumb enough to try one it had lost a smaller tentical, that seamed to glow.

Some types of plankton are bioluminescent, not just deep water critters. If you go diving at night in the Caribbean and run your hands through the water off the side of the boat, it will leave a trail of glowing dust.

hehe I know this is a late reply, but I just got to read this. I have actually seen these small fish. They release a small amount of bio luminescent fluid.

They are pretty cool , and don't hurt anything. Every year when we go down to the Keys for awhile, we can stand on the dock at night and see these little guys in the water Flashing at us.

Most of the creatures that glow by themselves have to actually eat the phosphorescent planktons to glow and will eventually stop glowing once it is all removed. Cuttlefish get it from the shrimp they eat at night thats how they spot food when no light is around since they light when startled. Its probably just a worm of some type that hitchiked in and will stop glowing sooner or later. Here is a cool picture for fun
kayak1.JPG

Back