Creating my Wish List

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
I have always wanted a piece of the ocean in my house, so I am putting together my salt water tank. Its a 30 gal for now and I am happy with the size to start with. I know that bigger tanks are easier to maintain, however size limitations have me at 30 gal for now.

I am creating my wish list for my tank, I know I want it to be a reef tank full of movement and life, I want to have a few fish in there because I love to watch them swim. I want some input and advice from everyone here so I know what I should get and what I should stay away from.

I know I am going to get clown fish, I have the name written down, after that I have been spending my time mostly looking at inverts....thoughts??

With a 30 gallon I'd say you're limited to 3-5 fish tops depending on what you decide to keep. Clowns would okay, as would several types of gobies and possible some of the smaller wrasses. With a tank that size, angels and tangs are too large.

As far as inverts, there are all kinds of shrimp, starfish and snails, as well as crabs (need to be careful here, as they aren't all reef safe) and things like feather dusters

I think you can actually keep some of the dwarf angels in a tank that size, a coral beauty or flame angel would look nice in there.

but +1 on the stocking limit.

Yeah my dream list will one day contain tangs, alas my tank is to small for now.
I know I want to get a yellow prawn goby, I love the colors of it, doesnt require a large tank and it is a peaceful fish. I was thinking the same of a Spotted Mandarin because it fits the criteria for my tank. After that I really would like to just fill it with alot of anenome, xenia, and things of that nature. I love the fish but to me, I think without all of the beautiful soft coral all around, it doesnt highlight them as much.

Mandarins eat little critters in the tank, and can be incredibly finnicky fish. You'll want to add that last, and well after the tank has been set up and running for some time - I'd sugguest at least 9 months to a year

+1 North

Also nems are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby, requiring pristine, stable water conditions which most tanks dont have until they they are around a year old or extremely dedicated and knowledgeable care takers. They also require much higher lighting than any coral. Nems are also extremely dangerous because if they die they can nuke your tank with the toxins they release.

LF are there not some nemes such a rockflower nemes that are low lighting more feeding, and hardier than say others such as BTA's? Not suggesting to add them just for those with lighting concerns or others there are a select few out there you could look into. Research before you make any purchases towards nemes, and ask around here instead of having to take it back later.

From what ive seen on the local forum is that hardyness seems to be a function of if its from the ocean or its a clone that split in someones tank. The clone nems seem to be much hardier.

But yes some nems need less lighting, but they dont seem to be as popular. Tube nems arent photosynethic actually.

+1 North

Also nems are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby, requiring pristine, stable water conditions which most tanks dont have until they they are around a year old or extremely dedicated and knowledgeable care takers. They also require much higher lighting than any coral. Nems are also extremely dangerous because if they die they can nuke your tank with the toxins they release.

Little fish, not from experience, but from research, I think there are many things harder to keep than anemones. But it's good to be careful anyway.

There arent too many other things that can nuke your tank from their death.

But these recommendations dont come from anywhere. I didnt make them up. Its from the collective experience of all the reefers who have done this before. I think the reason why we dont see many disasters on her is because as soon as someone mentions they have a nem we instruct them in how to best take care of them or return them. And people usually follow our recommendations.

If you want to test my theory about how much light they need and the water conditions they need, please be my guest.

I also have small tank 27g like you I wanted more movement and life so I got lots of feather dusters! They come in tons of colors and are really pretty.

I also love my sexy shrimp which do well in little groups they are pretty, swish their butts around a lot have been pretty easy to keep for me.

My skunk cleaner shrimp is pretty social and loves to jump on my hand and clean out my fingernails.

I have 2 condy anemones they are very pretty easy to keep and have lots of movement. Plus the sexy shrimp love them.

Marine wife I dont know how much you know about saltwater tanks but make sure you get the correct number of snails and hermit crabs

Hi Amber, it's funny, I was just looking at feather dusters at the store yesterday (in a tank, not the kind I use when being sexy for my husband, oo la la) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
Are they "easy"? Do you recommend for a beginner with a small tank? Your comment about movement sounds good....

Hi Amber, it's funny, I was just looking at feather dusters at the store yesterday (in a tank, not the kind I use when being sexy for my husband, oo la la) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
Are they "easy"? Do you recommend for a beginner with a small tank? Your comment about movement sounds good....

I believe the Feather Dusters are pretty easy as long as you have some nutrients in the water for them to filter out. There are also Koko worms which tend to be more colorful (reds and pinks instead of oranges and browns on feather dusters) and from what I understand, the Koko worms are much much harder to keep successfully in our tanks for some reason

Back