Creature Spits Out Hair / Thread

jetbobsled

Reefing newb
I've got a Large Piece of Live Rock, on which is some critters that spit out many pieces of long (3-5 inches) thread-like material. Later, the critter will either suck the threads back in... or will break them off.

The threads look somewhat like the same make-up of a spider web. It's kinda annoying because it looks bad... and my fish will occasionally swim through the threads, and have to scrape themselves on rocks to get it off.

Any idea what creature makes this thread... and how can I get rid of it?

It's extremely small, and seems to blend in with the porous surface of the live rock.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Its a Vermitid(spelling?) snail.Forget everthing you think a snail is.This one does not move,it sends out thread to capture food particles and reels it in.Real cool and reef safe,btw.You can kill them I'm sure if you like but I consider them part of my cleanup crew.

The threads are kind of annoying,but like Reef already said,there reef safe and actually show that you system is doing good.

Thanks Everyone who has posted... after further consideration, I agree. I'll keep them around. Definitely adds some curiosity to the tank :D.

Back