crusty layer on sand

bri74

Reefing newb
I have a crusty layer about 1/4 inch thick on my sand bed any on know why this is? I was thinking possible low circulation. 55gal 2 koralia #2s magnum 350 with no filter media in it.

I had the same thing happen in my tank when I first set it up. Mine was during the cycle process. I am not really sure was it is, but mine went away.

maybe, as you said, it's a circulation thing. maybe there isn't enough flow moving things around that are settling on the sand. I am just speculating. One of the more experienced members will know better then me.

Its probably a combination of not enough flow inside the tank,and not enough sand stirrers.
Some Nassarius snails would go a long way in keep the sand stired up.And the lionfish probably wont eat them.

Yote! whazzzzuppppp. hey off topic here a bit but I got my coralife super skimmer running pretty bad ass, however it seems like the day I leave for work the cup fills up in one day and my girl has gotta mess with it the whole two weeks im gone! anyways I took a bunch of my LR out cause its covered in aptasia that seemed to help the flow alot I had really big pieces of rock. So next Im thinking of getting a blenny that will clean some sand hopefully I can find one big so the lion wont eat it. Ya I will get some more snails too the lion doesnt seem to bug any of my bumblebee snails and I do have a few nassarus that are still alive as well. Hey did you move? I thought you were in TN

Last edited:
I'm right on the line Bri.live in Georgia,but Tn is home.
Those super skimmers can fill the cup when you least expect it.

Back