CT Frag Farmer's Market Info/Invite (3-8-14)

Jon Swanson

Reefing newb

Jon Swanson here from the E.O. Smith High School Coral Project here. Hopefully this is the best place to put this thread, if not I apologize and could a mod move it for me?
I wanted to reach out to the Living Reefs community to extend an invite to you all to come out to the 7th annual Frag Farmer's Market in Storrs CT on March 8th 2014. An offshoot of the coral aquaculture project I work on with students at the high school I teach at (www.eosmithcoralproject.org), the FFM has grown into the biggest "swap" in the Northeast, bringing together some of biggest names (Jason Fox, Hiller, Pacific East, etc..) alongside a ton a of hobbyists who sell off their own homegrown frags. If anyone is in the area, please come out and check it out.
I am also looking for more hobbyists (and shops) to set up at the FFM. The whole idea behind the event has always been to give the little guy a low cost-low stress "show" venue to be able to sell their corals at and make a few $. My thinking being that if the hobbyist has the chance to make a few $ fragging, they are more likely to grow, frag, and distribute aquacultured corals. Anyway, if anyone is interested in coming out to sell, or know someone who might be, shoot me a PM and I can give you details on set-up and such. Last year we had over 500 people come out and almost 40 "vendors" and it keeps growing every year!
Let me know if you have questions!
-Jon Swanson

I hear you. Part of the thinking behind not making it two days is making it easier for the hobbyist to set-up and not have to commit significant $ to staying overnight to sell at the FFM. It makes for a crazy day of selling and buying which is FUN!

The FFM is getting HUGE this year. I am over 40 "vendors" already. If you have not put it on your calendars, it looks to be worth the trip out this year!

As of two days ago, the FFM spots for vendors is FULL. I have a whopping 50 sellers for corals this year and quite a few "dry goods" vendors as well that will be in the hall. I did a little quick math ... that is ALOT of corals that will be for sale that day. If only I knew of some people who would be interested in a huge selection of corals at great prices...

I'm cleaning up the list and getting it ready to "release." I should have it up in a few days!

I'm working on it! The cool thing about the list is that it has some big names on it, which is nice, but it also has a bunch of hobbyists who you have probably never heard of. That is where you find some of the best stuff.

Okay, I think I have it...FINALLY
Here is the seller list for the FFM!
I apologize now for screwing up someone's name and definitely someone's home state. I might have guessed on one or two...

Seller State
10sojs - CT
A+A Corals (Formerly- Anthony27) NYC
Aquadreams MA
Aquatic X-celelnce NJ
aznnutty's saltwater connections OH
Bigcapct CT
Capcept/BfishLpond78/FRivera CT
CDMAS Sponsor NY
Chriskid CT
Colorful corals NY
CullyisGully LI
Dankacedium MD
Designer Corals CT
Dvetran CT
E.O. Smith Coral Project CT
Emessier CT
Exotic Fish and Corals CT
Exotic Reef Creations MD
Fins Aquarium NY
Frank180Reef MA
Gotham Aquatics NYC
Greg Hiller BRS
Hammer NH
ijamcorals MD
Jason Foxx MD
jgraz NJ
knockOUT Aquatics LLC PA
Kwong1998 NYC
Love the Reef BRS
Mass Reef Care MA
Matt Spaulding VT
MetroKat NY
MO~Idol (Steve) NYC
MrsDubs NYC
Pablo NYC
Pacific East Aquaculture MD
Phil Quindara NY
R+R Aquatics NYC
Reef Creations NYC
Sassawrasse CT
Shayna 123 CT
Shector/Bubbabobobbrain CT
Smiz NY
Suicideissleep CT
The Coral Reef CT
Tinygiant (Chris) NH
Upstate Corals NY
UsefulIdiot CT
Vermont Aquatics VT
xclusive corals NJ
Zooanthids.com UT
Zybergoby NY

It is quite few hobbyists from all over the area. Many of them I know bring some sweet stuff and a wide variety of things. Most of them have been in previous years and bring better stuff each year. You also have a few bigger names to anchor the group with Jason and Dr. Mac. I always find that it is the guy who I have never heard of who brings the coolest stuff. Last year one of the guys had some black hornet zoas which I had never seen before - super sweet!

Just got the official word that John from Affordable Aquatics is going to do a special for the Frag Farmer's Market. Order with the code below and get 10% off the order and your order can be picked up at the FFM for FREE SHIPPING as well! I know he has just gotten into frozen foods which he has offered to bring out as well.
Thanks to John for offering this to people who will be coming out!

Here is the updated list for the FFM "vendors." There have been a few changes and a few additions.
10sojs CT
AC Corals CT
Anthony NYC
Aquadreams MA
Aquatic X-celelnce NJ
AZNnutty's Saltwater Connections
Capcept/BfishLpond78/Franky Rivera CT
Chriskid CT
Colorful corals PA
CullyisGully NY
Dankacedium MD
Designer Corals CT
Dvetran CT
E.O. Smith Coral Project CT
Emessier CT
Exotic Fish and Corals CT
Exotic Reef Creations MD
Fins Aquarium NY
Frank180Reef MA
Gotham Aquatics NYC
Greg Hiller BRS
Hammer NH
Headie Corals CT
Health Pets CDMAS
ijamcorals MD
Jason Foxx MD
jgraz NJ
John Verga NY
knockOUT Aquatics LLC PA
Kwong1998 NYC
Love the Reef BRS
Mass Reef Care MA
Matt Spaulding VT
MetroKat's Sassy Frags NY
MO~Idol (Steve) NYC
Pablo NYC
Pacific East Aquaculture MD
Phil Quindara CDMAS
R+R Aquatics NYC
Reef Creations NYC
Renegade Reefers NYC
Sassawrasse CT
Shayna 123 CT
Shector/Bubbabobobbrain CT
Smiz NY
Suicideissleep CT
The Coral Reef CT
Tinygiant (Chris) NH
Upstate Corals NY
UsefulIdiot CT
Vermont Aquatics VT
xclusive corals NY
Zooanthids.com UT
Zybergoby CDMAS

This is only the coral vendors and I will "release" the other vendors when I finalize the list!

I just got another update on another sale that John from Affordable Aquatics will be running for the FFM. Here is the info he gave me:

We are going to offer a 20% discount on all frozen or live foods pre-ordered.

Use coupon code "FFMFrozen" at checkout for this offer.

I will be selling a large variety of frozen and live fish foods at the FFM. Due to freezer space limitations on site, we strongly suggest that you pre-order your food now so that you are guaranteed its availability at the show. In fact if you pre-order your food, your order will be packaged individually, on ice, in coolers or thermal bags to make it easy to take home.

We will have the best frozen products from:

Rod's food
Hikari
Piscine Energetics
Pro Salt
Ocean Nutrition
San Francisco Bay Brand

We also have the entire line of Reef Nutrition fresh and live foods including LIVE Tigger Pods, Live Phyto, and Oyster Eggs etc.
Because of their fragile handling requirements, it is strongly suggested that you pre-order these items as well.

This offer is available only those attending the Frag Farmer's Market. Please order early to guarantee your order's availability.

Here it is, the raffle list as of this morning. This only represents the things that I actually have right now but I have a bunch of things that will be coming in this week, including some HIGH end stuff. I also have a bunch of places that said they were sending stuff out but I have not see it yet! I will post updates and pics as I get things. As in previous years, ALL of the proceeds of the raffle go directly to helping to fund/run the coral propagation project at the school. Here is what I have for the raffle so far...

Affordable Aquatics $20 GC for Frozen Food at FFM (2)
Affordable Aquatics $20 GC (4)
Affordable Aquatics Precision Marine Skimmer
Aqua Dreams $25 Gift Certificates (4)
AquaFx 100 GPD Barracuda RO System
Aquagenesis Robosnail Automated Tank Cleaner
Aquatic Life 36” Edge LED Fixture
Avast Marine Top-Down Porthole, Smartphone Edition
AZNutty’s Coral Connection Coral Frag
Bob Smith Industries Reef Glue Gel
Boston Aqua Farms Fragging Supplies
Boyd Enterprises Chemipure Elite (Bundle of 3)
Boyd Enterprises Chemipure (Bundle of 3)
Brightwell Aquatics Supplement Pack
Bulk Reef Supply ½ gallon BRS 2 Part with Dosing Pumps
Carribsea South Seas Base Rock (2)
Carribsea ARK Refugium Kit (2)
Carribsea Purple Up
Carribsea Rubble Zone - Frag Rocks (3)
Champion Lighting Box o’ Crap
Cobalt Aquatics Cobalt MJ900 Pump
CoralVue 36” 6 Bulb T-5/LED Fixture
Cultivated Reef $25 Gift Certificate (4)
Dankecedium Coral Frag Pack
Designer Corals High End Frag Pack
E.O Smith Coral Project $25 Frag Farmer’s Gift Certificates (6)
E.O Smith Coral Project $50 Frag Farmer’s Gift Certificate (3)
E.O Smith Coral Project $100 Frag Farmer’s Market Gift Certificate (1)
Emmesier Ceramic Frag Plugs
Frag Freaks $50 Gift Certificate
Greenwich Aquaria Gift Certificates
Hamilton Tech Royal Blue LED Lighting Strip (2)
Hamilton Tech 20K LED Lighting Strip w/ Timer
Jason Foxx JF Coral
JGRAZ Montipora Frag Pack
LIRA NERAC Conference Tickets with Dinner! (2)
Love the Reef $25 Gift Certificates (2)
MadTanks Acrylic Frag Tank
Marco Rocks Base Rock
Nutrakol Nutrakol Food Pack
Ocean Wonders Coral Propagation Kit
ORA ORA T-shirts
OSRAS OSRAS Conference Tickets (2)
Pieces of the Ocean $30 Gift Certificates (2)
Precision Marine 13.5” REVERSE FLOW SUBSTRATE REACTOR
Rapid LED Aurora LED puck kit
Reef Breeders LED Light Fixture
Reef Chicks $50 Gift Certificate (2)
Reef Radiance Seneye Reef PAR Meter
ReefGeek Gift Certificate
Reefsuds Reef safe soap
Rod’s Food Rod’s Food Multipacks
Sea and Reef Designer Clownfish Pairs (4)
Sea-Swirl Multi-swirl Unit
Totally Exotic Corals of Oregon $25 Gift Certificates (4)
Tropic Marin 200 Gallon Salt Mix

See you all in a week!
-Jon

Can you give some more info on the raffle, is there a different raffle for each prize? What is the price for the raffle, do you have to be present to win, if so what time is the drawing? I would love to help support your school propagation project!

I appreciate the support. The raffle tickets are $1 each , 6 for $5, and 25 for $20. You buy the ticket and put it in the cup next to the item you are interested in winning. Most of the items will be drawn for at 4pm and most of them I will either ship or get to you somehow if you win. You just put contact info on the back of the ticket. During the day, there will be raffle drawings for FFM gift certificates that can be used at any vendor at the Frag Farmer's Market for that day. I will be doing those every 1/2 hour or so starting at 12.

Couple of important updates...

Unique Corals has just swapped into a spot that someone had to drop out of - bummer... Which means that Justin Credible will be in attendance as well!

I have added the following to the raffle...

Something Fishy Gift Certificates
CTARS 1 Year membership
CTARS 2 CMAC Tickets
Reefgen Frag Packs
Neptune Systems Apex Jr w/ Temp Probe
Elite Aquatics Frag Rack
Elite Aquatics Social Acclimation Box
Kessil A150W LED Pendant
Reef Nutrition Food Sampler Package (13 different foods!)
Sea and Reef 1 Phantom Clownfish pair
Sea and Reef 1 DaVinci clownfish grade A pair
Sea and Reef 1 Spotcinctus pair
Sea and Reef 1 Ultra Snowflake pair

Thanks to all of the companies who have sent things out so far, and who knows what might show up in the mail tomorrow!

-Jon

Back