Ctimpson's 135 gallon Reef Tank... Build Thread...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Ok, so say hello to the newest member of the Big Tank Club... This tank is going to be my new baby... I am so happy with this purchase... I will post pics tomorrow morning of this beast... Sorry everyone, but I couldn't out do Biff, but I don't care, I love this tank... Basically, tank specs are as follows... 135 gal. AGA 72" x 18" x 24" with right hand corner overflow... Stand that is completely wired for all electrical needs and the entire stand is fully insulated... The canopy opens from the front on two hinged doors. Lighting consists of 2x 250 watt Metal Halides with ballasts, 4 VHO 112watt Super Atinics, with an Ice Cap 660, 4 moonlights... Just to give you an image of where this tank is going to go, my bedroom is 12' x 8'... On the 12' wall, there is my 42" Plasma and then this tank... My bed is in front of the plasma, so really the rest of the entire room, is this tank...

Next up comes all the questions, I am sorry for this is going to be a long post, so thanks in advance...First, in the overflow there is 2 inch bulkhead and 2 1inch bulkheads for the returns... All I have at this moment in time is a Rio 2500 as the return pump for my 60 gallon. Will this still be ok to use as the return and if not can anyone recommend what I should use... I am going to use my 40 gallon as the sump and fuge, so should I run the overflow piping from the right side of the tank to the left side with some ball valves to cut the flow, and into the skimmer portion of the sump/ fuge, then returning straight up to the returns... Also, I currently have a brand new EuroReef RS80, do you think it would be ok to still use the skimmer, or upgrade to like a Octopus? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.... Thanks...

ball valves are always a goo deal. glad to hear about the 2 inch. I think 2 inches is definitely good. as far as the pump, not sure there.... biff is pretty good with pumps. she helped me with mine. I am not familiar with your skimmer or what its rated to? if you are planning on having lots of stuff..... and why wouldn't you? its a big tank! I would suggest a big skimmer. maybe do the upgrade

oh and congrats on the BTC!

You can basically use any return pump you want. The thing is, you are not going to get very strong flow using the pump that you have. Turnover will be low, and the output to your tank from the sump will be really slow. I would upgrade to a MagDrive if I were you, I think the MagDrive 12 would be the best one for your size tank -- 1200 gph (I am using the MagDrive 18 on my 240 -- 1800 gph). Your plan for plumbing sounds good.

What size tank is the Euroreef rated for?

Another question... Biff, what paint did you use to paint the back of your tank... Is it just regular Krylon? Also does anyone have any thoughts on undergravel jets, in a saltwater setup?

Regular ol' spray paint. 99 cents a can! By undergravel jets, do you mean an undergravel filter? If that's what you are talking about, avoid those. They cause problems in saltwater. They will eventually pollute your water and cause major algae problems.

No, I would never use those on a saltwater... The system I am talking about in piping under the sand and rock and basically forcing water up through the tubes to aid in keeping stuff in suspension, instead of remaining on the sand bed... I am having lots of problems with stuff just staying on the bottom of my 60...

I think you talking about a closed loop system with the nozzels coming uo through the bottom of the tank?
I've seen a few tanks set up like that.I dont really know that its any better flow or not.But it would take out the need for power heads.

Good luck with it,and hurry up with the pics.

Biff,
A lot of the tanks that Donny sales are set up that way to run the closed loop.
All the plumbing is run through bulkheads in the bottom panel of the tank so you can hide them under the rock work.

I like the way that system is done.Just run the plumbing under the substrate and dont have to worry about a bulkhead leaking.

Ok, so here are the first images for this build thread... Today was spent sanding down my stand... Whoever painted this setup was an idiot... The stand and canopy were painted with the stone textured spray paint, SEA FOAM GREEN of all colors, so the surface was as rough as sandpaper... Upon sanding, I discovered that the stand is constructed of really nice finished plywood, so barring any screwups, we have decided to stain the setup with a very light stain... The canopy still has to be sanded and all of the trim on the stand, but it will be worth the work. I ordered my bulkheads today, and will be ordering my new metal halide bulbs tomorrow. Any recommendations on 250 watt Mogul Based bulbs. I am thinking of 14000k but I am open to suggestions... The tank is currently filled with 3 gallons of vinegar and like 120 gallons of water... I will let that soak until tomorrow when I get home from work and will scrub it and refill again... The pics are nothing special, but hey at least they are some pics... Thanks everyone in advance...
135build001.jpg

135build003.jpg

135build002.jpg

135build004.jpg

135build007.jpg

135build009.jpg

135build011.jpg

135build012.jpg

135build010.jpg

135build013.jpg

135build014.jpg

135build015.jpg

Looks really good! It's coming along.

Our stands must have had the same previous bozo owners. My stand had the exact same seafoam green stone texture paint on it. I used paint remover to take it off though, not a sander.

Was yours made completely of finnished plywood and did you end up staining the stand or painting it... Could you post some pics of your stand?

Back