Ctimpson's 135 gallon Reef Tank... Build Thread...

WAIT! WHAT?!? Have you not been following "Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread"?!?! HOW DARE YOU!!

Just kidding.

Stripping the paint:
081907005.jpg

081907004.jpg

After:
081907007.jpg

081907006.jpg

Painted black:
081907018.jpg

No, I have been but I don't remember those pics, except for the final one. It has been awhile since I checked out your thread, but I am reviewing as we speak.... Sorry for my ignorance!!!! See, but yours looks to be made out of real wood, not plywood...

Last edited:
Ctimpson, you asked for bulb recommendations ?? if you are running electronic ballasts ... the ONLY 250w bulb that i recommend is the Coralview Reeflux 10K SE, it has a tint of blue that makes SPS coloration UN B lievalbe !! i am not sure if they have the same affect on magnetic ballasts though.

BTW ... i am switching to electronic ballasts and these bulbs VERY soon.

Hello all... Well today after I got home from work I had to spend the last 3 hours of daylight moving one of my tanks in my room to the kitchen, so no work was done today on the tank... I do have a couple of questions however... First, should I sell my month old euroreef rs80 and pick up an octopus skimmer? Also I think I should just invest in an RO unit, seeing how it will pay for itself when it comes time to fill this monster... Can anyone recommend a decent one and does anyone know if you can hook up the unit outside of the house like attaching the unit to a hose... Why you ask? Because I rent a room and my room it outside attached to the house, so the less fish stuff in the house the better...

Is there any chance the RO filter could freeze outside this winter?
I dont see what it would hurt al long as you can keep it out of the weather.
Sun,rain,and cold are not exactly good for plastic.

Some RO/DI units come with hose attachments or you can get it separately.Biff got one off of ebay for dirt cheap.I'm sure she will be here at some point and can post a link.

Of course all the name brand ones like Kent,Coralife and Spectre Pure will work just fine.I would at least get a four stage or higher.Oh and don't forget a TDS meter if one isn't built in to the unit.

Ok...so my stand and canopy should be done by thursday... I took a page out of Biffs book and I am using paint stripper on the canopy... Works like a charm biff... Also we are having the worst weather ever... There are fires all over the place and winds of up to 40 miles per hour... It is going to make painting a living hell, actually there will be no painting until these winds subside...Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on the rio HF's for my returns... Mik I think you have them on your tank, what do you think of them? How much did they run you...

Back