Ctimpson's 135 gallon Reef Tank... Build Thread...

I had a Rio HF on my old sump... It was wayyyy too loud. I could hear it across the house. I switched it out for an Eheim and was very happy with the Eheim. For my new tank, I'm using a MagDrive as the return pump, and also like this one very much.

If I were to do it over, I would go with another type of pump, but since the money is spent..... Will replace them when the wife gets aggrivated and makes me replace them... :)

So, biff you are basically saying don't buy them?

I found them to be noisy. The guy I sold my used HF to didn't think it was noisy at all. Redline has one and sleeps in the same room as his tank, and doesn't think it's noisy. It's one of those hit or miss things.

Ok, so tomorrow the tank will be ready to put in my room... I worked my butt off today and tomorrow will just be putting 2 coats of black on my stand... Right now I have to coats of primer on, do you think 2 coats of each will be sufficent... I am using behr exterior high gloss paint and the behr enamel primer... Also, can I use the same stuff on the back of the tank that I am using on the stand, the high gloss enamel... Also I will be picking up my bulkheads tomorrow and will be ordering my bulbs... I still have no idea what to do about a pump or the sump... Should I go with 2 magdrives or just one? And should I go rubbermaid or acylic sump? Please give me your suggestions as I am really just worn out from all the work I have already done... I know I will be excited once the tank is on the stand in my room... I just can't wait to fill this thing...

Last edited:
I would use spray paint on the back of the tank. If you use a paint that you have to brush on, it will leave streaks.

For a return pump, you will just need one MagDrive. Get one rated at least 10x the volume of your tank. You can go either rubbermaid or acrylic for the sump. Use whatever is cheaper and whatever you can find easier. If you don't plan on putting in a fuge, then a rubbermaid tub will work just fine. If you do want a fuge, it is hard to put baffles in a rubbermaid tub, and in that case it'd be better to go with either a glass or acrylic tank.

Is the pump going to be use in the sump or out?
In sump-Magdrive
Out of sump-Panworld

Use acrylic and make a sump/fuge combo.If you don't feel handy(like me) then get a glass tank and put baffles in it.

You need to use the

ok...so here is an update, not much but at least there are pics... The entire thing is in my room, waiting for water... I will have to wait until at least monday before the plumbing goes in... Keep your fingers crossed... Thanks guys... What can I clean the inside of the tank with, that will not be a problem when I fill it up with water...
135pics001.jpg

135pics002.jpg

135pics003.jpg

Back