Ctimpson's 135 gallon Reef Tank... Build Thread...

If its live sand then don't rinse it.
If its dry sand then you can rinse it with dechlorinated freshwater.

Actually the smell of freshly made saltwater smells the best.Its like a crisp,fresh ocean air.

I agree. I love the smell of the tanks in the house. The water cascading and smell reminds me of the ocean. In fact, my wife loves it so much, she is actually basing the living room upstairs on a beach theme with chairs, sea shells, art work, the works. It should be pretty sweet

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I love the smell too. and my roomate comes home every day and is like ugh those fish tanks fuc*@ng stink! as iff his 2 large ass dogs don't stink up the house.

HA! that is great! screw him and his dogs. Fish tanks smell great - unless they are not kept up, then they can stink a bit.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

So, here are the pics of filling the tank... I ran out of water and I have to go get some more in like an hour... Salinity is at 1.028, so RO fresh it is... I have to leave the powerheads in the tank last night cause there wasn't enough water to fill the sump, so as soon as the sump is full I will turn the whole system on... I haven't even tried to aquascape cause I am getting a 100 more lbs of Cured LR on either saturday or sunday... So more pics to come...
Fillingupthetank004.jpg

Fillingupthetank008.jpg

Fillingupthetank007.jpg

Fillingupthetank009-1.jpg

Last edited:
did I see your filter bags in your DT? I am confused about that one. They probably work best in your sump.

-Doc

HUH? Oh good catch Doc! I went back and took a second look. Filter bags need to be in an area where the water is forced to flow through them. Just sitting them in the tank won't do any good, water is not forced to flow through the media.

Haha guys...Like I am actually leaving it there... I told you guys that I didn't have enough water to fill the whole system up, so instead of leaving the bag in the dry sump, I put it in the DT so that at least it wouldn't dry out... The sock and everything is in the sump now where it belongs and everything is up and running... I will post pics in a little bit, I am going to eat dinner with my honey... I owe her one from this whole project...

ah good. wasn't sure if they did things a bit different in Cali, I know you are all pretty laid-back, but that seems even a bit too laid back

-Doc

you never know. I had it out the other day with an employee at petco about xenia. He was insistant that is was an LPS because angelfish nip at it and they only ever eat LPS corals. Yup, you bet I set him straight.

-Doc

So here is my new tank, all setup and running... There is not even a hink of aquascaping yet, that won't take place until sunday, everything is just thrown in there... All parameters are great and everything is opened up and happy... Any suggestions as to how to aquascape this thing... I am thinking of two islands with a penisula and an open center...
New135setup001.jpg

New135setup003.jpg

New135setup002.jpg

New135setup004.jpg

New135setup005.jpg

Back