CUC Acclimation

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Can someone explain (fairly detailed) the drip method of acclimating inverts? Im heading out on the three hour round trip to Buffalo to get some CUC items, in my freshwater stuff all I have ever done is the float method for 20 min put a 1/4cup of water in every 20 min for an hour then net them into the sytem. I have no idea how to even set up a drip let alone how to get it to work. I know I need to go for 3+ hours but that is all I know. Any help would be great.

get a small tube like the one you use for water changes, but this one just needs to be very narrow. put one end in the water and create a siphon and tie a not in the line that is tight enough to only let about about 1 drip a second. and then just put it in a bucket and wait. its that simple

Last edited:
I use airline with a valve to control the drip. Start suction on it, then slow the drip down to a drip or so per second. After a couple of hours it's time to introduce your friends to their new home.

Dustins got the basics.Just use airline tubing
And theres no need to spend 3+ hours acclimating anything.All they need is long enough for the salinity in the bag to match your tanks.

Boy oh boy did I overspend! haha. So it begins I guess. I got the following

10 Astrea Snails
10 Cerinth Snails
4 Nassarius Snails
2 Turbos
2 Fighting Conch
1 Queen Conch
2 Emerald Crabs

I also got two test kits as I had been using the quick dip strips to get me started. I had a water sample tested at the LFS 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 2.5ppm nitrates. Double checked the nitrate when I got home and I concur. My Ph is 8.2 I know it should be up around 8.4 what is the best way to buffer it up?

Grand total for the evening 125 bucks plus a couple of slices for Janell and I. She was being a good sport tonight for sure. She was as excited as me I think.

I have got to say emerald crabs effing rock! Drop them in and both of them instantly go to work picking at algae on the rocks. Nassirius snails are cool too drop them in and they bulldoze their way directly into the sand with their antenna poking out. Sorry for the noob excitment but its all new and cool to me.

you definitely need more nassarius eventually. You may even need 20+ for your size tank. I have 6 and I still want more to help turn over the sand.

Yeah I figure that Ill need to probably triple or more the size of it eventually but I didnt want to get a bunch and have them starve.

I have got to say emerald crabs effing rock! Drop them in and both of them instantly go to work picking at algae on the rocks. Nassirius snails are cool too drop them in and they bulldoze their way directly into the sand with their antenna poking out. Sorry for the noob excitment but its all new and cool to me.

Kinda like having your first deer walk under the stand aint it?:D

Your PH is fine.Anything from 8.2 to 8.4 is OK.

Back