CUC and High Nitrates

Reefster

Reefing newb
My nitrates are very high - looks like 60-70.

Will a good big batch of snails help clean up some of the excess waste around the tank and bring it down? I have zero algae issues.

What is the best tester? I am using the Salifert kit. May be willing to spend the $ on a digital tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really don't think adding snails is the answer. How much water do you change when you do water changes and how often do you do water changes? If your water isn't being changed enough that could account for excess nitrates.

i was doing about 30-40 gallons every other week. I had not been cleaning the sand bed in the past and started siphoning again recently to help get the numbers down. I was pulling up some pretty dirty looking stuff and was hoping the snails would help with it.

i was doing about 30-40 gallons every other week. I had not been cleaning the sand bed in the past and started siphoning again recently to help get the numbers down. I was pulling up some pretty dirty looking stuff and was hoping the snails would help with it.
research 'old tank syndrome'.
If you don't siphon the sandbed, it can completely be saturated with nitrates and phoshates.
You should only do partial vacuum of 25% of the sandbed if you haven't done it in a while. Stirring it a couple times a week helps prevent this.
Keep doing w/c daily until numbers are down.

yes, in your other post, high levels of trates and phates will kill your inverts.

You can also get some sand sifting starfish to help sift and aereate the sandbed
Oh, I am getting some sand shifting every night. Two years ago I bought a 4" engineer goby to help do that. Today that sucker is over 15 inches and has a good time shifting things around. unfortunately, he hides and i very rarely see more than his head poking out.

Back