CUC for a 90 gallon

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I need to get a CUC for my tank. Right now, I only have a few crabs and snails. How does this sound....My tank is 90 gallons.

Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab 5
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab 5
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab 3
Peppermint Shrimp 1
Banded Coral Shrimp 1
Nassarius Snails 20
Bumble Bee Snail 3
Astraea Turbo 3
Cerith Snail 4

i would get what you have there and add 3 or four more pepermint shrimps. but add the cleanup crew slowly i would not buy all that list and add them at the sam time unless you tank can keep up with a good supply of food for them.

+1 James
Drop the Coral Banded Shrimp all together.They AIN'T reef safe.
I'd start with the Astraeas,ceriths,and nassarius snails.Then in a couple of week,if those aren't keeping up,add some more.

Well, the tank has been up for 3 months. But, we took all the sand and water from the 46 gallon which was set up for a year and a half. So, do I need a CUC yet, or should I wait a while.

+1 all above (even dave for some reason :12:)

The key thing to remember about a CUC, start small, you can always add more later.

Other than that, I would also add the crabs together as they're either going to get along or not; hence, don't give them a chance to get territorial and then add some smaller newbies that they can snack...:lol: I mean PICK on. Plus, hermits, according to some hermit specific sites, are social creatures and like groups of other similar crabs, and all that fighting/snipping off limbs is a natural social interaction for them.

Dang it yote. I've got TWO Coral Banded Shrimps! Got me again. :grumble: :mrgreen:

I personally watched one eat coral polyps like they were candy bars.

How to tell if they aren't keeping up?

If after two weeks the algae seems to be covering more of the tank rather than less...you need more snails

And if your seeing more detritus laying around,add another star or 2,or maybe a few more hermits.

Back