CUC for sand?

What's wrong with doing that? My LFS just told me that I should be doing that like once a month :grumble:

Ever noticed what looks like air bubbles trapped in a deep sand bed?
Thats a gas that builds up,and if it gets released into the tank,it'll cause it to crash in a matter of minutes.

Ever noticed what looks like air bubbles trapped in a deep sand bed?
Thats a gas that builds up,and if it gets released into the tank,it'll cause it to crash in a matter of minutes.

Great! :frustrat: My LFS told me that nitrates build-up under the sand and that I needed to sift the sand once a month...so what's worse, nitrate build-up or releasing these gas bubbles? If I don't actually see bubbles do I have to worry?

I've got my big hermit that covers all the sand pretty well, how do I know if he is doing a good enough job?

From other threads, I beleive he spends most of his time climbing the plumbing:mrgreen:

He would be keeping the top layer of sand clean but not really mixing it up. I would grab a bunch of nasarius snails. They burrow down and come out when it is feeding time.

Brian

bj is right when released in small amounts it is not harmful, when vacuuming you end up removing so many good things that it turns out to be detrimental for your aquarium, like your pods that eat waste, algae, and stir up your sand.

If you have an area (a dead spot) that doesn't get much flow and there is detritus build up it is okay and best to do a very light vacuuming in that area. But good flow in your tank should help you keep area's clean and things moving to your filtration.

You should have enough nassarius snails and conchs (burrowing inverts) to keep your sandbed stirred up. You should not be vacuuming the sand yourself.

Not all brittle and serpent stars are carnivorous. Only the really large (and usually dark green) ones. The rest are reef safe and are some of the best cleaners out there, IMO.

maybe thats my problem, cause i'm vaccuuming my sand and stirring it up every water change(not the whole thing, but the parts the rocks dont have covered)

Back