CUC help....

RedTornado

Reefing newb
So i am in need of adding to my CUC thanks to my Yellow tang. I am wanting to add something other then snails ( i hate snails!). All i really have in the tank for a clean up crew at the moment is a couple nass snails. I am wondering with everyones experience what have they had the best success with? I have been looking into getting a sand sifting starfish.

I am also playing around with the idea of getting a sand sifting goby to also help keep my sand bed clean. After seeing the one in my LFS's DT i am really wanting to add one. I am just not sure if my tank is mature enough to handle it though. Do you think i would be fine getting one? My tank is now about a month old after cycling.

My Tang on the other hand cruses the tank and when he sees the snails mouth (or w/e you might call it) sticking out of the sand he bites it off partly pulls them out of the sand bed. I have seen him do this to 3 of them and they all end being dead. Witch i don't mind cause i am not a huge fan of them but i will say they do clean up the left over food off the sand bed quite well.

Thanks!

My cleaner shrimp and peppermints do a great job keeping everything clean. I would also suggest a serpent star over the sand sifting one.

I added a sand sifting goby as one of my first fish. He sifted the sand all day and then ate frozen at feeding time.

I had a shifting goby,he did a good job but all my corals were cover with sand..i think im try a starfish,cleaner shrimp are realy good..

+1 sara on the urchin I have a long spined and love it. Also 2nd the opinion on the serpeant stars. I have 4 in my tank and they eat everything that is in the nooks and crannies.:Cheers:

I'm actually thinking about trading my urchins in at the LFS now. No question they are great algae eaters but, I'm just now realizing that my tank has no coraline because they are constantly eating it.

I'm actually thinking about trading my urchins in at the LFS now. No question they are great algae eaters but, I'm just now realizing that my tank has no coraline because they are constantly eating it.

Same in my tank. My back glass used to be purple. Now there's not a spot of coralline on it. But my urchin also ate all the red velvet algae that I hated -- which is a type of coralline as well. So I can't be mad at the guy!! Good ol' Archie. ;)

This past weekend I went up to my LFS thats not so local and picked up a long spined sea urchin. He's in all about the size of a baseball.

I am wondering though is it okay if i move him from time to time into my fuge just to help keep algae under control? I think i may have a bigger problem then just diatoms i will put a post up in the algae section.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back