CUC help

You want a mix of snails -- astraea, nassarius, trochus, nerite and turbos are all good choices. Some people like hermit crabs, some don't. Hermits will end up killing some snails here and there, that's why some people pass on them and get a hermit-free CUC. Emerald crabs are good if you have algae. Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp are important down the road, but not right away. And I think everyone needs a brittle or serpent star. There are lots of other neat cleaners, but those are the basics.

I'm actually in hte middle of studying for my pharmacy finals so time is limited for reseraching haha although i prob shouldnt have held off with this new addiction of a hobby but im hooked.

it all depends on how much bioload you have in your tank. i would start out with 4-5 of each snail and get 10-15 hermits. thats what i would start with.

if you get on reefcleaners.org and call them and tell them what you have they can get you a good cuc package that has all the basics and other kinds of cleaners also.

Daugherty is right -- call or email Reefcleaners.org. They will give you a custom package for your particular tank. You also get a discount if you mention you are a Living Reefs member. :) The guy that runs that place is great -- he always throws in extras and his stuff ships very well.

I really dont like the hermits they keep killing my snails, every time i see one in a shell that i KNOW was a snail shell I want to rip him out by the little crab legs! GRRR

If I could do it all again I would only get lots of different snails NO HERMITS

Back