CUC Ideas?

twps

Reefing newb
I picked up 10 dwarf blue legged hermits a week ago, and they've done a great job cleaning up the rock, and pooping everywhere! What else can I add? My LFS suggested I buy 1 crab per 1lb LR, is this true? That would mean 50+ crabs!? (46G tank w/ 56lbs LR)

I was planning on picking up a couple of turbo snails today, how many is suggested? I just read an older post on nass snails too, so I'll look for a couple of them too. I'm also okay with a shrimp or two. Are the blood (red) shrimp okay? My LFS stocks blood shrimp and peppermint. Is a red star fish okay to add?

Gobies are enat, but I'm worried about my fine white sand, I read somewhere that they're create a dust storm in this environment.

Any other things I should look at? I'm not a fan of sea cucumbers, and am looking for colourful livestock.

It's a new tank (transplant of an established tank to my house)

That is WAY to many crabs. i have never heard of 1 crab per pund of LR.( i would have 140 crabs in a 72gallon) Snails will be a good choice but with that many (10) crabs in there the will be eating them and stealing the shell. How long was the tank established before? If it is a fairly new set up i would reccomend staying away from the shrimp for a while. When you do get a shrimp... The blood shrimp is cool but as far as cleaning goes i like my pepermint shrimp the best. they eat everything and are not nearly the cost of a blood red shrimp. IMO...

I dont think you do, They are great cleaners but they are also great snail killers. I just wouldnt buy anymore but i think the ones you have will be fine.

If you buy too many cleaners at once, they will starve to death and crash. Then you've wasted your money, and the animals you bought are dead, and your water quality gets screwed up. For that reason, only add as many as you need to handle your algae/waste problems. You can't really go by a "1 crab per 1 lb of live rock rule." In my 90 gallon tank, I have about 5 snails and 5 hermit crabs. That's all. If I had any more, they'd starve to death because there isn't much for them to eat in my tank. If I had 1 crab per gallon of live rock, my tank would probably crash and all my fish and corals would die!

You've got to do what is right for YOUR tank. Each tank is different. Are you having algae problems? Is fish food sitting on the bottom and rotting?

I'd advise against the red stars. They can be hard to keep. Instead get a brittle or serpent star. Blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp would both be excellent additions to your tank.

Biffs 100% right.You want just enough to keep the tank clean.
I'd have at least one serpent and one brittle star for sure.And a reef tank,just aint a reef tank without a couple of shrimp of some sort.:D

Back