CUC ideas

twps

Reefing newb
Another thread on detritus made me wonder what is a good CUC for my 46G? I currently have the following:

10 blue leg hermits
4 black/pearl turbo snails
1 nasarius snail (maybe?)
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp (maybe)
A pink and a red starfish (if they count in the CUC?)

My diamond goby went MIA while I was on vacation. I don't have any algae problems, my sand stays pretty white with a vacuum every 4 weeks, 25% water change at the same time and weekly RO top ups.

Would the addition of a brittle star be too much? Any other recommendations?

You can actually add quite a bit more snails and hermits. A brittle star will be ok as well. You also shouldn't vacuum your sand as it will stir up unwanted nutrients(ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc) that are locked in there.

For example, I have a 29g tank with approx 30+ snails and 30+ hermits, 2 pep shrimp and 2 emerald crabs.

The only thing I really don't like about the turbo snails is their inability to right themselves if they fall on their backs. Sometimes a crab will attack them if you are not there to turn them back over. If you do not replace your diamond goby, which, IMO is the VERY BEST sand sifter of all time, you can also add more than one Nassarius snail. You won't see them much, except for their little snorkel, or when they come out of the sand at night or at feeding times. They will also breed like crazy, leaving you with some free crab food! *L*

I haven't had any issues yet with my turbo's not able to right themselves, I'm guessing that time will come. They have grown quickly though.

Back