Culturing Copepods

bg3489

Reefing newb
I just got a green mandarin and am going to attempt to culture copepods in order to have a constant supply for him to feed on. I am planning on putting them in a tupperwear liek container and seeing if I can get them to multiply. Does anybody know the specifics to attempting this process? I.e- lighting, how much food, water changes, etc.

If you have a refuge,that would be a better place.I keep my quarantine tank running(10gal) and their are alot of pods in their.I feed tiny pellets of fish food in their to keep the cycling going since there no fish in it.My tank has standard florescent(hardly ever on),I feed the tank maybe twice a week,and I never do a waterchange unless right before I put fish in it.Some of those pods are nearly 1/4"

do you have a refuge?? Just a seperate tank with some live rock, and live sand buy a bottle of articpods or tigerpods and place them in that tank and let nature run it course hope this helps.

On a side note...if your tank has matured enough(6mo+),your 115gal plus lots of live rock is good enough for a Mandarin.I had a Mandarin in a 72gal. with 100lbs of live rock for 5 yrs with no refuge or culturing copepods.

Some times you get lucky and find one that eatting frozen food,If you can find one of them then you know for sure it will stay well fed.

i want a mandarin sooo bad! beutiful fish! but, sadly i only have about 40 pounds of live rock in a 55 gallon. can't wait for more money to buy more rock. can put duck tape on kids shoes for few more months. summers just around the corner.:mrgreen:

Back