curing live rock

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
im keeping my live rock in a bucket that s heated around 85-90% to speed up the curing process. is this fine?

You might not have much live benificial bacteria on your rock that you can use. By cycling your rock at high temperatures you are first greatly lowering the level of oxygen in the water. Even a circulation pump in side of a bucket will not adequately bring up oxygen levels in a bucket with cycling rock sitting in hot water. Hot water holds little oxygen, cycling rock means lots of the proper bacteria which need lots of oxygen. Besides encouraging the growth of only bacteria that function in a shortage of oxygen your also only encouraging the growth of bacteria that will grow at temperatures higher than you will run your tank. Plus the high temperatures will kill life forms taht are not used to the high temperatures maening the need for even more oxygen. Your idea is definately not beneficial. Please read the article on curing rock in the articles section, and if you bought really good live rock then read and follow the directions given at Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock there are no good shortcuts only inadequate methods of poor husbandry for the convenience of the impatient reefer or poorly informed reefer, or there are proper methods. I hope that early into reefing everyone learns this before wasting a lot of dreams, time, money and most of all coral, fish and other precious marine life forms.

I will get off my box now.

Last edited:
I agree with Fatman. Curing rock at that high of a temperature is only killing the stuff on it. It defeats the purpose of spending extra for "live" rock. You can't speed up the cycling process by using higher temperatures.

Back