Current 6 bulb fixture

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
Good morning i just bought a 6 bulb fixture for $100 with brand new ati bulbs the only problem is that the switch for the 2 bulbs or the 2 bulbs come on for about 30 mins and then just turn off. The fans dont work and im going to be replacing then already but would they turn off b/c they get to hot or would it be the ballast thats burned out? thanks for looking.

What brand/model did you get?
If you bought it new and it acted like that from the start, you should send it back to the vendor for a replacement.
What is the warranty on that thing?

Most of the light kits have the fans wired with the lights so they turn on at the same time.
It is possible that the unit is shutting off because of overheating since the fans bad.
If it was a bad ballast, chances are the lights would not even turn on.

It's a Current 6-bulb light for $100 -- which means it was bought used. :)

Did you buy it knowing that it didn't work? If not, I'd contact whoever you bought it from and get your money back. They shouldn't have sold you a broken light (at least, without telling you it's broken). I'm not very handy, so I wouldn't know what's wrong or how to fix it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in with some advice.

Sorry biff for th late reply. I bought it used and the guy was selling it has a 4 bulb b/c it wouldn't stay on. I already knew but figured it would be something like a wire or switch. But I had some1 look at it and he said it was a heating issue. So, I took the fans off and saw that all the black paint inside the fans were causing it not to spin. Scrapped all the paint off and voila fans are back in action and spinning again. Had it on for an hour yesterday and it was running perfect. Now it's full on getting the hanging stuff for it.

Glad to hear you got it working. Been doing alot of thinking about upgrading my light on my 60 to a Current Nova Extreme Pro. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon. Really nice light. And you got one heck of a great deal. Congrats.

Thanks mike the other deal I had before was better $80 but would have had to replace the bulbs sooner. I bend the pipe yesterday just need primer, eye bolts and nuts, my yo-yo hang kit and mounteding it up against the wall and lights lights on. Can't wait.

Back