Current Extreme Nova Pro vs. TEK

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I was planning on getting the 48" current extreme nova pro for my 55 which is on sale on drsfostersmith.com for $359. However, I was talking to someone on craigslist selling a TEK light fixture used for 1 year, 3 week old bulbs and he wants $400 for it. Which one should I go for? Here is a copy of the email from him to me (he's nearby):

I'm asking 400 dollars. Again, its like new and a six bulb 48" fixture with adjustable legs from TEK will run 575.00 plus shipping or taxes. It has 2 Giesemann blue +, two Current 10K for coral growth, an actinic plus by I don't remember off the top of my head, and a 75/25 by UVL i think it is. And there's an x-tra one which I don't recall off the top of my head who made it or its Kelvin rating.

So what do you think?

Yeah but this comes with new bullbs (well 3 weeks old) nice ones like Geisman, still worth it?

"2 Giesemann blue +, two Current 10K for coral growth, an actinic plus by I don't remember off the top of my head, and a 75/25 by UVL"

Brand new speaking, which one is better and is current really as bad as this guy says it is, I've heard mostly good things but he says in his email:

Your link to bulkreef shows the price of the fixture at 390.00 and I've seen them on sale for 365.00 last year. The Nova Extreme doesn't have individual reflectors, the "current" bulbs are good if you want to grow algae, and frankly its worth maybe 150 resale the moment right after you open the box. "Current" isn't exactly a name of quality, they're the cheapies for a reason and you get what you pay for. A TEK light holds its value, gives better coverage which promotes healthier livestock, and frankly looks a heckuva lot better on a tank.

The bulbs are 20 + bucks apiece and the legs are 65.00 so you're looking at 200.00 to 225.00 for just the bulbs and legs including shipping and/or taxes if you support your LFS

Unless my math is wrong that's 600 dollars right there before adding in shipping costs for a 40 pound fixture and bulbs which are oversized and costly to ship due to the care needed.

No big deal, I've got another guy wanting to buy the fixture and the 4' frag tank together.

I have to agree, This guy also want to sell hes lights to you. Of course hes competition sucks.

at least half the cost but then again you are at the mercy as if he is telling the truth or not. right now you are buying his light for what he paid for it minus the cost of the bulbs.

so i will sell you my truck for what i paid for it since it has new tires on it.

i hope that makes since

That guy is a JACKASS and don't know what he 's talking about. Thew nova pro has individual reflectors. No light holds their value after they have been in use............ Move away from him

Yep, he is wrong. The Pros that you are looking at DO have individual reflectors. And his response reeks of jackassery. Current isn't considered one of the "cheap" brands. They are probably the most popular brand of T5 lights.

Yeah that's what I thought. Well people always argue, oh they don't have individual reflectors they have a single piece of aluminum contoured to each light, well it's the same damn thing lol, it just means they formed it from a single piece of metal. Anyways I actually thought it was kind of interesting he says:

the "current" bulbs are good if you want to grow algae

but yet before he listed the bulbs included as:

2 Giesemann blue +, two Current 10K for coral growth, an actinic plus by I don't remember off the top of my head, and a 75/25 by UVL

Am I missing something here lol.

I love the extreme pro I have on my 55 and wouldnt buy the CL guys unit you dont know how he has teated the fixture or how many times he has taken it off set it to the side of the tank to work in the tank and the thing slides and crashes to the ground .....or if he has tried to monkey with it for led install or if he had it plugged into a surge protector or if the bulbs are in fact new if there that new ask for a reciept

Yeah I'm not even gonna give him the time of day. When I asked him for some pictures of the fixture he said:

I'm afraid its packed up in it's box. I'll see what I can do, maybe I have a picture of it when it was sitting on the frag tank.....

Umm.. yeah def. going with the new current fixture.

Back