Currently in a Power Outage

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
We had a pretty good storm move through the area a few hours ago. I'm at work right now but my mom stopped by my house and said our power is out. My backup plan has included a power inverter from my car, or running a cord to my neighbors (who are on a different grid and currently have power)

How long should I let my reef go before I run home and do something? It's a 125 gallon with 3 fish and 20 small corals. I just ordered a UPS battery backup for future cases like this! It's the first time in 2 years our power has gone out.

It should be fine for a few hours, but see if your mom can stop by again in a couple of hours and just stir the water all around (without stirring up the sand/rocks), just to keep oxygen flowing.

Update - my mom just went over and with the help of my neighbor ran power to the two powerheads. I should be good to go for a while now! It's awesome having retired neighbors how are always home and willing to help!

Sounds like you have some awesome neighbors and mother! And with a few powerheads running, your tank should be fine. If you are going to be out for an extended period of time i would look into getting heat to the tank as well.

I'll check on the heat when I get home. The basement will probably stay around 70 and if needed I can open a few windows to heat it a bit.

I just got out of a power outage as well. I purchased a generator but it didn't come before the hurricane so i quick bought a UPS as well, the guy at the store told me that it ran 60 minutes on 450 watts so a 4.5 watt circulation pump should last a few hours. Power went out, ups kicked on and kicked back off in about 1.5~2 hrs. Didn't really help for the extended power out that we had. I was without power for around 12 hours and ran the UPS at around hour 4~6 and everything is alive. When the power came back on though the fish were pretty happy and wouldn't stop swimming into the current for a while.

anyway i returned the UPS and got my generator, it will give you much more time on power than a UPS will and it's worth the investment IMO.

Just an update here, sorry I haven't been on at all this weekend. The power came back on late Friday night. No issues at all with the tank.

Thanks for the heads up on the UPS unit, I'll have to test mine out to see how long I can get before deciding to keep it. I guess at the very least it would be nice to have if the power goes out while I'm at work or until I get a future generator going.

Back