Curses on my crab! My Acro needs help

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
My crab ripped a relativly new acro frag off the rock from where I glued it and damaged some of the tissue. The damaged area is spreading slowly, leaving the white skeleton of the coral exposed. I have looked into this a bit and I believe it's called RTN that I am experienceing. I think that I need to frag it but I am not sure exactly how. I would rather not frag it if it will recover on its own. Any advice?

i think that if it was me and the tissue loss is getting bigger i could frag it just to keep it from killing the whole coral.

So how do I frag it? Do I have to frag it above the damaged area? How do I keep from damaging it as I am fragging it? The damage is in the middle and seems to be spreading circular in a band. Can I save the upper and lower portion too?

do you have and sidecutters for cutting wire? i would try to save as much as i could.top and bottom. to frag it just cut the bad spot out. i wish i could say if it was the right thing to do but i will say that is what i would do.

I most certainly do have sidecutters, but I think I would crush my little frag with them. It is about an 1 1/2" wide and 2" tall with 4 or 5 branches.

no, I mean that the frag is too big to fit into the "cutting" section of my sidecutters. Part of it will end up in the "plier" portion and get crushed and that will lead to more RTN. What do you think about a cut off wheel on my dremel?

You mean a Hacksaw?
Hacksaw.jpg

If you haven't fragged your frag yet you can give it an iodine dip. This will sometimes stop the infection. and if you have fragged it you can iodine dip the part you fragged to prevent an infection from cutting it.

Good luck

Do you have proof? May be he's been the killer all along! You must admit you'd be better off without him. I'll take him off your hands. :LOL:

If you haven't fragged your frag yet you can give it an iodine dip. This will sometimes stop the infection. and if you have fragged it you can iodine dip the part you fragged to prevent an infection from cutting it.

Good luck

+1 Winy
The iodine has about a 50/50 chance of stopping the acro from RTNing.But I would fag above the bare skeleton and right below.Its better to take the chance at saving 2 frags then to risk loosing the whole frag.

What do I do to keep from damaging the new frags tissue as I am cutting it with the dremel? How is my dremel any different from the rock that my evil crab threw the coral into to begin with?

Just grab the frag with your fingers and snap it in two.Acros frag fairly easy.Lord knows I've accidentally fraged enough of em.
Think about how they get fragged in the wild.Theres not anybody using a razor sharp tool to cut them off with.Their just snapped off by the waves.

Back