CurtisL 29 gallon biocube

CurtisL

Reefing newb
So after having the 90 sitting around and not having the funds or room for such a big project i went ahead and picked up a 29 gallon biocube this evening! came with about 30 lbs of corraline covered live rock, a couple of small corals and some snails and what not. along with the stand, the biocube uv sterilizer and skimmer, along with a bunch of other extras, everything for 225.00 so i think i idid ok!

so right now i have the live rock in a rubbermaid tub in the water that was in the tank with a powerhead going, tomorrow i plan on going to the LFS and getting new water along with sand. and getting everything flowing.

now am i wrong for thinking about putting the live rock, right into the premixed water from the LFS? im sure i will have die off but is there any other way to do it? and also i am going to clean the tank prior, anything i can use to assist in getting off the algae on the back?

will the couple of corals in there suffer with the cycle? will i have a cycle?

any other thoughts or concerns appreciated. this is my first tank even though i have snooped around here quite often.!

thanks everyone.

Congrats!!!

If you keep the rock wet, you shouldnt see much of a cycle, even if you put it directly into the new saltwater.

And the corals should make it if they are softies or most LPS. If they are some of the more touchy corals, you might want to find someone to babysit them for you until you tank is ready for them.

I wouldn't use a razor, if it's like the NC then the back is made of acrylic. If so, they sell acrylic safe cleaning pads in LFS, petsmart, petco, etc. I'd use that with the vinegar/water if it's the case.

Nice deal! I am still new to this, but from what I understand the uv sterilizer wont be needed. It kills off some important and needed materials in the water if I am not mistaken. Someone else might be able to chime in, but I would consider not hooking it up.

so sorry no updates for a while, everything has been up and running for about a month now! just have some mushrooms along with some zoas right now! gonna go over my parameters and if everything looks good willl be getting a couple black and white clowns with something that it can hosts and hopefully a few more zoas! happy with the way everything is going so far the zoas are showing a lot of growth as well as the mushrooms! and thats with the one light :- /. i do have a few questions so here we go!

1. i am noticing a little bubble algae. i have picked some off some is in crevices that i cannot reach, now options
a) get an emerald crab and continue as planned.
b) pull everything and start over to avoid an infestation.

- hopefully you will say option A! :- /

2. can you leave your lights on for too long? i am doing maybe 12-16 hours a day and noticing some hair algae growth. should i cut back?

3. should i be dosing with anything? i have some reef accelerator. will it hurt anything?

4. any thoughts or concerns or anything i may have overlooked please let me know. this is my first tank, i researched a lot but now with hands on deck i need any and all criticism and advice!

close you out with some pics!

the mushrooms!
25d676fb.jpg

the zoas! growing like crazy!
ae4fbddb.jpg

also have another frag of them lower in the tank doing great.

and the FTS!

0d14ae6a.jpg

AGAIN ALL COMMENTS WELCOME AND WANTED!

sweet! thank you! now what about my light period? and should everything grow ok under that as long as i keep the corals basic?

thanks again and will post up parameters tonight after work :-(

alright im home! i realized the test kit i have is a reef kit and it only tests nitrates, and calcium. so tomorrow after work i am going to get a saltwater test kit!

i did test what i could though

calcium - 420 mgs
nitrates- 5.0-10.0 ppm (couldnt tell, those two yellows are so close together)
salinity - 1.026

any issues anything i need to watch out for? and will test ph and nitrites tomorrow!

i would say you are ready for your first fish! You want your ammonia to be zero, and considering your corals are doing well, i think its safe to say its at zero.

You did toss in some dead shrimp to start your cycle right?

no it was established live rock already, covered in coraline, i just kept it wet with a power head overnight then the next day threw everything in new saltwater. been going about a month now with great growth on the corals especially the zoas

Back