Custom 90g Build

Feivel

Reefing newb
So Im new to the site. If you got to Pictures by larabieseb - Photobucket you can view my 30g and my first custom stand. Now i work at an aluminum shop where we mainly fabricate aluminum tool/storage boxes. I want to make one for my 90g tank.
Heres the Sketched Plans. nothing concrete yet.

CIMG5843.jpg

CIMG5842.jpg

Essentially this will be a aluminum checker plate customized box with plain doors and fancy hinges/handles SO I have a 4 bulb tek light 48" i just picked up to rivet to the lid. and whatever is in my 30g. so the stand will be aprox. 22" Wide and 31 tall from the floor for the first compartment and sit approx 5 feet to the top of the tank/light canopy and 58" long also opened will be no more than 7 1/2 feet tall. the canopy will house the lights and seal to the top of the tank. will be hinged with struts to open it up like a hatchback car. it will be 3 side viewable. the tank is already side drilled. It will fall to an undetermined size sump.the return pump will be flexible to a certain point wehre it will split 3 ways, one to sump one to display and another to water change. the sump will be on slidding tracks.the box is supported with 3, 3inch "I"-Beam divised across to support the tank. A Light to grow sump stuff and the power bars and timers in the tall door too.

QUESTIONS:
-Whats the minimum clearence i should have between the bottom of my sump tank and bottom of my i-beam supports.
-Aeration (fans) to the tank stand?
-What to use to line the bottom of the tank? (Between the tank and the box)
-Should i use a HOB skimmer to have more water volume in sump tank? i belive a in sumo needs like 3 inch of water wich doesnt add much volume to the set-up.
-What type of plubimng is reef safe?
-What type of light is best for sump growth? the minimum and maximum recomended please

any other things anyone experienced in building stands could let me know to look out for? this will cost me 800$ approx for the stand alone and dont want to have to make it twice :)

cheers thanks for your time and help.
Seb

Use pvc plumbing for it like what you would use for your faucets and sinks. For the sump light, use a regular light bulb that fits into your lamps.

My only concern would be with the aluminum eventually rusting from any spills, drips, mishaps, etc. thereby weakening the structure. Any thoughts on that?

So i went to my Local supplier and realised i have a 48 18 21 wich is equivalent to a 75g. BOO i thought i had a 90g. REGARDLESS :) i will continue and have fun with what i have. as for the aluminum rusting i dont think it does that. it might pitt a bit over time but rust out might oxidate a little but ..... i guess we will see in time i am currently using some alluminum brackets to hold my light up in my 30g I have a 30" tank and 26" light so i needed the extra lenght to support the light. it seems to be holding up fine it is 3/16 thick. I will be using 1/8 checkkerplate for my stand with 3x3inch "I" beams underneath to support the tank and 1x2's to the floor with tracks to pull the sump out and clean the skimmer etc.. My concerns are more about the lack of experience in the trade with all the dosing timers and ATO's and extra stuff i need i dont want to come to the end and go ahhh shoot i should have added an extra inch here or hole there or bracket here or some doo-ey overhere.

Thanks for the input guys :)
Cheers
Seb
P.S. All Measures are subject to change. the height will be closer to the 30" than 20" and width is closer to 22" lenght is solid at 4 feet 10". Open height will stay at 7 1/2 feet

Back