Custom Build Started Sept. 13, 2009 - Present

I had that crab before in my biocube I'll describe him as best as I could.he is brown big flat pinchers, body also flat, 2 lil net hands that extend from infront of him and always holds them out. I never knew the name of the crab but he never attacked anything. It only catches stuff with his net hands. I hope i make sense... But I doubt it's a porcelain crab

Last edited:
I had that crab before in my biocube I'll describe him as best as I could.he is brown big flat pinchers, body also flat, 2 lil net hands that extend from infront of him and always holds them out. I never knew the name of the crab but he never attacked anything. It only catches stuff with his net hands. I hope i make sense... But I doubt it's a porcelain crab

That describes him to a 'T' Whatever he is, he now has an emerald for company! :)

I picked up my order today from Coral Crazy. Well, I met the owners on their way to Toronto to pick up and order. It's really too bad that they don't ship to the States because their customer service is the best from any company I have dealt with. I bought a pink ricordea, orange ricordea, blue paly's, eagle eye zoa's, red zoa's and a green stripped mushroom. They weren't sure if the frag I picked for the eagle eyes were going to make it or not so they pick 2 more frags in just in case. The pick ric is about ready to split so I more or less got 2 of them for the price on 1. In total for 4 zoa frags, a paly frag, pink ric, orange ric and the shroom my total was $90. Delivery to 20 minutes from my house include along with a coffee for Kim & I. On the way home I stopped by Lyle's shop as he finally got my emerald crab in. Here's the pics of everything 20 minutes after I glued them in place.

Attachments

• 138 - Orange Ric.jpg
    138 - Orange Ric.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 139 - Eagleeye Zoas and Pink Ric.jpg
    139 - Eagleeye Zoas and Pink Ric.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 140 - Blue Palys with Green Zoas.jpg
    140 - Blue Palys with Green Zoas.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 141 - Red Zoas.jpg
    141 - Red Zoas.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 142 - Green Striped Mushroon.jpg
    142 - Green Striped Mushroon.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 143 - Emerald Crab Emm.jpg
    143 - Emerald Crab Emm.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 144 - Acclimation complete.jpg
    144 - Acclimation complete.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 145 - Orange Ric Placed.jpg
    145 - Orange Ric Placed.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 146 - Eagleeye Zoas Placed.jpg
    146 - Eagleeye Zoas Placed.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 147 - Red Zoas Placed.jpg
    147 - Red Zoas Placed.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 148 - Eagleeye Zoas Placed.jpg
    148 - Eagleeye Zoas Placed.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 149 - Green Shroom Placed.jpg
    149 - Green Shroom Placed.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 150 - Blue Palys Placed.jpg
    150 - Blue Palys Placed.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 151 - Pink Ric Placed.jpg
    151 - Pink Ric Placed.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 152 - Emm eating like crazy.jpg
    152 - Emm eating like crazy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 243
Here's a new video of everything. It is quite big and I don't now how to make it smaller. Anyone with any insite on how to do it would be great.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_f4o5CGnbA]YouTube - New Additions.mpg[/ame]

Nice additions! Love the ricordea.

Thanks Biff! I needed some colour and now I have some. I'm thinking on a really nice frog spawn frag too. The thing is maybe 2.5" x 1.5" for $30 and a nice bright green. My orange ric came unglued overnight, and my pink urchin now has it on it's back. LOL! Going to get some more glue.

Looks like it to me. It usually goes for about $10 a head. That looks to be at least 3 heads.

Agreed. I'd pay $30 for that!

Then I guess I'll pick it up Friday. Cause $30 USD = $29.8188 CND So it must be a deal. LOL! Plus it'll give my clown something to bug come the 24th of Feb. when the fish get to have tons of room to swim in compared to what they have now. Thanks to you both for your input.

I was looking at my refugium/sump last night thinking on a way to get the water to actually flow thru the refugium part as the way the water looks now is like it is flowing is only over the top. Here's a drawing of my current design.

currentrefugium.jpg

Area 1 is the refugium part (7"). 2 is the return area (8"), and 3 is the skimmer area (7 1/4"). The baffles are starting from the left of the refugium (1) 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/4", 2 1/2", and 2 1/4". It's a 35 gallon tank which is 36" long, 18 1/2" high by 12 1/2" wide. I was thinking on building a new one that would be 40 1/2" long, 18 1/2" high by 15 1/2" wide making it 50 gallons and laid out as below if it would create more flow thru the refugium area. I have the space in the stand for it, and have been told bigger is better.

refugium1.jpg

The numbered areas would stay the same, but the widths of each area would be 1=10", 2=8", and 3=10 1/2". Baffles would all be 2 1/2" apart and from the bottom and the top of the tank.

My question is which layout would be better for flow thru the refugium. If both layout were either the size I have now. Just moving the baffles/dividers around to make the new layout, (keeping the areas the same size) or go with the bigger tank and keeping the layout the way it is or changing it around to the second picture. I know what I want to ask, but I'm not sure how to ask it so hopefully this is clear enough.

~~ Barry :D

So the Frogspawn I wanted ended up getting sold before I could make it there to buy it. I ended up getting some more inverts for my tank. I have a IOWLRAC (Inverts Only With Live Rock And Corals) tank. LOL!

I took some pics of my qt/hospital tank because I wanted to take some pictures of my fish. 19 days til fish can go in. :)

154-20daycountdown1.jpg

155-20daycountdown2.jpg

I picked up 2 huge Black Snails. Super cleans. Leave nothing green behind when they go over it.
156-NewBlackSnails.jpg

Also the hermits I ordered came in. Remind me the next time I order something to specify the size I want. I order hermits and these ones are about 3/8" big. You can sorta scale them to the substrate size. I super zoomed in on them.
157-4NewHermits.jpg

Here's everyone hanging out in my acclimation bucket.
158-Acclimating.jpg

Enjoying their new home. I tried to take a picture of the hermits but they were way too small.
159-BlackSnailsintank.jpg

So I'm watching the little hermits eat like they haven't eaten in days and that big hermit I entered in the PotM last month comes along and flips one of the new hermits over and starts eating it. Before I could get my net from hanging over the wash tub and my stool out to reach the bottom of the tank, I'm left with 4 small empty shells and one happy hermit that's had his crab meal for the day. Not too impressed.

So today I'm in complaining to Lyle the hermit ate the hermits and Kim falls in love with a Starfish and I'm looking at a Royal Gamma, pacific tank, yellow watchmen gobie, bicolour angel, and a bicolour blenny I wouldn't mind but have to wait 19 more days. We walk out with a nice reddish orange starfish. Meet Fantasia. (Yup another critter I didn't get a chance to name.):grumble:
160-NewStarfishFantasia.jpg

161-AcclimatingFantasia.jpg

162-Fantasiaintank.jpg

Here's my acclimation setup. I run about 4-6 drips per second into the pail.
163-AcclimationSetup.jpg

My tank is blooming nicely with hair aglae and I wasn't sure why. I checked my water and for some reason my N03 is at 40ppm. Not sure why since I don't feed anything except the corals once a week and that's just a light dusting. Thinking something's not right I test the RODI water I buy from the water store, and their level is almost 35ppm. Thinking maybe my readings are off, I took some to Lyle and he tested the same and checked my phosphate level. Nice purple colour the water turned as soon as the drops hit the water. Now I'm fuming cause I pay $4 for a 5 gallon jug of this so called 1ppm water. I called the owner of the water store & left a message for him to call me Monday morning when he gets in. I bought 2 jugs of water ($2/jug) and some filter socks to put some carbon in to hang in my sump to help lower my N03. Now I'm getting ready to DYI a phosphate reactor. (It'll be posted here and in the DYI section a long with the LR I'm going to make as soon as the play sand thaws out.) Next week I'm hoping to get a bright green brain coral he has in there. I did end up modifying my sump. I took out the baffle on the left in the refugium section and now water is forced up threw the macro algae. (hoping Kim will get me some of Biff's Magic Chaeto for my birthday!!!)

Last edited:
I love your new starfish! :) That sucks about your water, though. I had a huge hair algae outbreak in my Biocube about 2 years ago when I was buying water from a local store. I finally bought my own RODI unit, and I don't have the HA anymore. It's worth making your own water because it saves you money in the long run, and you don't have to worry about whose water you can trust...

I love your new starfish! :) That sucks about your water, though. I had a huge hair algae outbreak in my Biocube about 2 years ago when I was buying water from a local store. I finally bought my own RODI unit, and I don't have the HA anymore. It's worth making your own water because it saves you money in the long run, and you don't have to worry about whose water you can trust...

Thanks!! The week before Kim wouldn't let me buy one I wanted, but she wanted this one and it was more money!! LOL! RODI system is on my list of things to get before the end of next month. I'm sitting with almost at $400 in lighting and test stuff for this month so I better not push my luck too far.

New Sump/Refugium is born. I made a lot of mistakes with the sump I originally built. Not big enough is the main thing. I sat down with pen and lots of graph paper to draw it out to scale and this is what I came up with.

182-newdesign.jpg

After doing some math while I sat in emerg waiting to see the doctor, I figured out my return section was too small again. Only holding 4.71 gallons which is about what the one I am using now has and I have to add water everyday to it. So I came up with this one.
183-newdesignmodified.jpg

Now my return holds 9.35 gallons which is almost double what it held before, plus my skimmer and refug areas are bigger.

Calling on the extra hands of my oldest son, we headed to my work to build. Here it is with the sides put together.
184-newfugnobaffles.jpg

I forgot the camera at home and my cell phone is an old flip style so they aren't very clear. With the night still young and my ear getting chatted off (I only see him everyother weekend) I figured we might as well finish it. So here it is all finished. By the time we were done we were both high on silicone fumes!!
185-newfugbaffles2.jpg

I'm hoping it will be dry by Monday since it's a holiday and getting everything switched over for the coming week. Maybe if I have time I'll give making rock another shot this weekend. So may projects so little time. :grumble:

The silicone is dry. I brought the new design home today and filled it up with water. Been full for 12 hours and no leaks. YET! LOL! Here's a few photos. Yes, that is a heater in there keeping the water from freezing. The joys of being a Canadian during the winter.

188-NewSump-Refugium1.jpg

189-NewSump-Refugium3.jpg

188-NewSump-Refugium2.jpg

Back