custom frag tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

poksal

Well? .. I AM trying
Does anyone know a place that does custom frag tank sizes...?

I want one of acrylic that is 11" wide X 36" long X 12" deep. It needs to set on an acrylic base mostly open at the back that is 8" tall and about 30" long.

This would sit on the front of my desk and have water about 8" deep with a coral frag rack around 3" off the bottom... you get the drift.

It would be plumbed into my main 95 gal, sump, refuge, circuit as additional diversification of life forms.

..I can build it but am interested in a turn key price too... if I do the drilling.

ALSO, has anyone ever used a router table or jointer to finish the glue edges of thick acrylic and glued your own? I have both and am interested in if either leaves a glue smooth finish on the acrylic, as it tends to melt to the cutters.

Comments requested.

Last edited:
Not sure on how firm the dimensions need to be, but a 20 long tank is 30" long x 13" wide x 12" tall. It would be way cheaper to get one of those than a custom acrylic tank.

However, if it don't fit, it don't fit. I wouldn't know the pricing of a custom tank.:Cheers:

that's true and the PetCo $1 per gallon thing is talking to me hard.. but it really isn't a perfect fit.. unless I can come up with a good base to go under it.

I hear you there. Just picked up one of these tanks to build into a frag tank plumbed into my main tank also. Couldn't pass up the 1 a gallon:mrgreen:

a 20 long is a decent home frag tank size/shape .. do they have them in acrylic??? so they are easy to drill.

not in the 1 a gallon sale. I think you would need to order one from your LFS in acrylic. If possible.

That means I would have to purchase a glass hole saw for the bulk head... now I need to research that to see what it costs... next.

What are your plans? You going to do the over flow route? That is about as expensive as the hole saw if not more.

Look what I found...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DH10HS-4-Inch-8-Inch-Diamond-Hole/dp/B0010EGADQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]http://www.amazon.com/DH10HS-4-Inch-8-Inch-Diamond-Hole/dp/B0010EGADQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

...and for one each choices... : @99.8% positive feedback:

Diamond Drill Bits Hole Saw Tile Marble Glass Granite 1 2 3 4 1 3 8 2 3 " Inch | eBay

I just feel like a drilled overflow is way safer, it just isn't nearly as likely to overflow the frag tank. And at $1 a gallon, there isn't much $$ to risk.

Last edited:
thanx.. too late .:D

Today I took advantage of the PetCo $1 sale and got the 20 long.. I then purchased a 1.5" and a 1" bulkhead connector. Then just for spite I stopped at HomeDepot and got a sheet of egg crate grate. Now in a few minutes I'll put my calipers across the bulkhead connectors and order the sizes of diamond drills required. ... this is fun. I have too many LEDs on my 95 so this frag annex will inherit a 30" stick of Rapid LEDs. I will need to get an additional driver and then get a dimmer pot from Radio Shack, and power it off the same dimmer power supply.

Then I will need to build a riser with a solid 3/4" thick ply top to put the 20 on my desk. That will take some planning. AND reinforce my desk.

:shock: This happened in about 20 minutes as I passed a PetCo and did an about face.

So, am I supposed to post pictures and all??? :bounce:

I LOVE PROJECTS

Last edited:
poksal, awesome! petco $1/gallon sale is hard to pass up. didn't know it was back in action. i might need to pick something up, too!

This 20 long frag tank will go on this desk.. oh... well... it will take a stout riser with a 3/4 ply top and should end up with the front face in line with this 95. The desk will have to be strengthened from below and drilled for the plumbing and such into the cabinet of the 95. I plan to have enough room between them for doing glass cleaning and not much more. ..I "think"...

Suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 336
ha ha.. yep! the water will be about YTBD deep down and I will put a divider between them... some how.. I'm still thinking this through..

One thing I'm still not clear on is what kinds of fish and inverts generally go into a frag tank with no sand and a sub world under the egg crate.

Last edited:
.. ummmmm.. you notice my 95 is already next to them.. and .. yep.. it is a think.. but I plan to be careful.... I'll have to.
.. I tend to like living on the edge... mostly Irish & Creek Indian.... a crazy mix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back