Custom Sump and Overflow box

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
Well the glass guy finally got around to me and he's in the process of building me my sump. I have to have one made because my stand won't allow for a normal fish tank under there.
I also had trouble with the stock eshoppes overflow, the tube was hitting my light and the box hanging part was real sloppy. So I modified it, cut out 5/8" to make a near perfect fit. Here's the overflow.

DSC_0069_00.jpg

DSC_0071_01.jpg

The sump is drying today, the glass guy called me! Took like a month to get him to do it, but should be real nice.

Also, you guys all use white pvc and unions and stuff under the tank. My overflow has the 1" fitting in it so Im gonna use that size down to the sump, only I plan on using flexible tubing, or hose at this size. Also, should I plumb the uv on the down side, before the sump, or on the pump side going back up? The uv only has 3/4 fittings on it, so that will be the return size. Those pvc unions I see you all using are questionable to me as well, the o ring is small. I was going to use the black irrigation pvc, with the blue "hot" glue, safe for pools and spas, and no purple primer all over!!! I hate that purple primer, and the hot glue bonds with heat, takes higher pressures, but is it safe?

Will you be adding a refugium?

A very small sump with a very small fuge, but small is better than none I say.

Whole sump is 8" deep, front to back, by 22 wide, l to r, and 11.75 tall. Once I get it in there I will hang my skimmer on the 8" side at the inlet end and go from there. The actuall fuge is like 8x9", small. I am removing one of my Eheim canister filters and putting this in it's place. The Eheim is very old and never glitched at all, I think I got it back in the 1900's, lol!!!! it actually says made in West Germany on it, so I am going to save it in storage. Maybe set up another tank in my boys room with it. It's very sentimental to me....:mrgreen:

The Eheim is very old and never glitched at all, I think I got it back in the 1900's, lol!!!! it actually says made in West Germany on it, so I am going to save it in storage. Maybe set up another tank in my boys room with it. It's very sentimental to me....:mrgreen:

Ha! I was in Michael's (the craft store) this weekend, and they were selling these glass display cases with pedestals in the center, like if you wanted to display a piece of art, or a baseball, or something. You could get one of those and make the old Eheim the centerpiece of your living room! It'll be a conversation piece that no one will be able to ignore ;)

Ha! I was in Michael's (the craft store) this weekend, and they were selling these glass display cases with pedestals in the center, like if you wanted to display a piece of art, or a baseball, or something. You could get one of those and make the old Eheim the centerpiece of your living room! It'll be a conversation piece that no one will be able to ignore ;)

I got that filter in 1988 or 1990. see, I'm an old Fart now....staring at a fish tank and blabbing on the internet rubbing my shoulder 'cause the rain is coming in...help me Biff!!!!

My mom used to have to walk through 8 feet of snow to get to school. Uphill. Both ways. Without shoes. And every day for lunch, all she would get to eat was a plain ham sandwich and an apple. Nothing else. And she never once complained. Oh no, not once. Not like her awful kids. :)

Art...

My tank is the focal point in my living/dining room.

Thats art, gettng all that stuff to work and be clean and actually sustain life....
it's beautiful; and most of you all have these pieces of "art in your home.

I love it.

So in that case, you want to put the UV before the fuge.

OK, so it is apparently ready, two weeks later but done, come pick it up! Biff, you said to put the UV before the fuge, so that would mean on the plumbing coming down off the overflow box, then through the uv, then into the sump, right? Let me know. Thanks.:Cheers:

OK, so I have what I think are the parts I need. I'm gonna come out of the overflow bulkhead fitting and go right to 3/4 pvc, which is the largest my UV fittings will allow. So I'm coming right down, through the uv, and into the sump, 3/4 pvc. I think I will put some pvc ball valves in there for the lamp to come out when needed. Then out of my pump is 5/8 id fitting, which I am using Vinyl tubing, with another ball valve in-line to control flow up to the ehiem spray bar. Get back to me soon p5k, I'm gonna fill the sump up in the shower and leak test it, then I'm gonna set it up dry on the front of the tank to plumb it, and I suppose go back to Lowes 1 more time tonight. I have 7 gallons salt water ready to go. I will take pics along the way for you guys.

3/4 drain line sounds kinda small, i went with 1" cause thats what size my overflow box bulkhead fitting is...

i'm not sold on the uv on the down hill side, it sounds restrictive to me, not to mention that if something ever goes down that drain line, say a snail, or a chunk of algae, the smaller the pipe the more likely it is to get clogged...

just a thought...

oh, and i'll be home and available via phone if you need my help, after 7pm central time.

I think it will be ok 3/4, the actual siphon tube on the overflow box is 3/4, just the bulkhead thing is 1". I'll dry fit it all together and post pics later, you have phone number of me still? Call me later if you do.

Here's the sump and some fittings. Mind you it is 8w 12 tall and 22 l to r. Tiny, but I think it will serve the purpose.

DSC_0055.jpg

Back