Custom Sump and Overflow box

Ok, started piping the o box into the uv, took out the eheim, lots of room it seems. Leak tested the new sump for the past 3 hrs, not a drop and its full to the rim. Going to start the install now....

Ok, all piped in and runnig!!! 2:30 am here, cleaning up and going to sleep. I am SO glad I put valves on the down side, full port ball valves, to isolate the uv. I have one valve on after the pump, also not needed, but glad it's there. I've been adjusting it for hours, I think I really got the hang of it. The overflow box height seems to run the show, and I've been adding water to it and bring up the box until I got to the water level I want. When I shut it off it just creeps up about an inch or so in the sump, then all quiet. The spray bar was a good idea project52k, the holes in it break the siphon on the return side rather quickly. Will post pictures later tomorow, I have to work a little tomorow. I will be valving this off and shutting it down while I sleep. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Well I found a leak at 4 am, on the bulkhead fitting on the o box!!!! F*#!, so I took it off and shut it all down. Will get a new fitting today and try again. I think I moved the box with the pipe from below and it started to drip.

I have a crack in it all around the area where the gasket goes, so stress or I overtighened it. I've been know to be a gorilla, tight is tight, too tight is broke!!!

If the UV goes after your fuge, it will kill the pods that leave the fuge for your main tank. It has to go before the fuge, or else it defeats the purpose of having the fuge in the first place.

About the leak -- such is the game. It took a month to get my new 90 set up because we had so many leaks. It was awful, but we fixed it eventually.

That sump looks great!!

I am sure that you used stainless screws to hold the two halves of the OF box together. Since they are out of the water, it doesnt matter that they are metal but if they arent stainless the salt and moisture will corrode them pretty badly.

I use hard PVC pipe because it is cheaper than the tubing and I like the look of it better than tubing. Either one works just as good as the other. I also try to get the clear primer whenever I can, I just dont like the look of the purple either.

Well, as it turns out I have a crack in my overflow box, I guess I really overtightened it, now I have to order another one, no one even has one close around here. So now I have to drain the sump and sit tight fo a few days....

Can you not just use a two part waterproof epoxy or silicone to fix the crack?

It's a crack plus the seam is messed up from me trying to fix it already. The crack runs out of the bulkhead cut out, so everytime I tighten it the crack opens again, so I really don't trust that kinda thing. I woulnd't sleep knowing it could be dripping, and I dont want to check it for water leaks everyday forever, so, I'll spend yet another 29 bucks to sleep at night....

Plus now the sump is under a static test for a few days:D The only plus I can see to this.

dood, what a night... i tried calling you but i got no answer, i guess you were to busy working to answer the phone...

sucks about the cracked box.. but it sounds like you understand the adjustments now, so you can whoop it from here...

I got it running again, I will need a little help with the adjustments later on after work. Maybe you can call me agian P5K. Thanks.

oh, not tonight, i'm throwing a b-day party for a buddy of mine at my place, and i just dont think i'll be able to give you the attention and respect on the phone with all the distractions, you know, the usual, hookers, strippers, drugs, alchohol, loud music, and console games... gee, i hope the wife dosent come home early... :mrgreen:

well... i would hope that she would eventually, i mean i do need her paycheck, and whos gonna make the sandwitches???

Just kidding, but damn i got a good laugh outta it...

That's cool , I think I got it. And post pictures of the hookers, and your wife's face when she walks in and you all jump and yell "Surprise!"

Ok, I have it all running and I even left the house with it running! I have removed the siphon tube from the o box to test, it only filled up a little in the tank until it sucked air. And I have shut the pump off until the return line stops, the sump fills up like another inch and thats it. So far so good. I have the water level set right where I want it in the tank. I went out and got a low profile zenon lamp, inder the cabinet type with two 20 watt bulb in it for the fuge, I hope that is ok. I even got a piece of cheto from the store tonight! So I now have the fuge going with that and a small piece of live rock from the DT. I moved my skimmer and heater in the sump as well, so I think thats it. I will try to get some pics up tonight, but I have to clean up first! This could be the worlds smallest sump, at 7.75 deep, 12 tall, and 22 long. I have about 7 allons in there running. I'm happy with it and it all fits under the stand.

Back