Custom Tank or Not

sailfin

What reef tank?
I have talked with my electrician and he has wired a closet with its own dedicated breaker. I have also discussed size options with my contractor. It seems 3 feet long would be best, but 4 feet could work. I have about 4 feet to work with inside the closet as well. So the maximum depth would be close to 3 feet and hope I don't get any fatter!! :mrgreen: Should I have one custom made and where from or buy a standard 4 foot long reef ready and where from? Any help would be appreciated guys.

I would def have one custom made. Thats the same one I was going to recommend Brandon. :) I would go 4 foot if you could. More tang swimming room. But I would also go as deep as possible. That will be a sweet tank. I would also have them put you in a closed loop and forget about all those PH's.
That is what I am going to do. I am going to use PVC to hold some of my rock structure, and the PVC will be plumbed into the closed loop. It will give you flow coming from everywhere if done right.

Do a low Iron Front for sure. Hang your lights on a rail system so you can just slide them out of the way.

This is going to be fun I can tell.

Another thing...

I would have holes drilled in the back close to the top for your surface skimming vs. having the huge overflow boxes in the tank.

hey anthony, I would go with a standard 120 like I have, maybe find a oceanic if you want better quality. If you go custom its gonna cost you big. plus shipping. And your really getting a pretty standard size anyway. the starfire glass is nice though. my tank for downstairs is going to be 60x36x24 with a starfire front. but Ill have to save some pennies first cause noone seems to make one standard. anyway good luck and if you go standard let me know and ill see if I can get you a good deal at a lfs.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have plans for a closed loop system and I thought, in order to do that, you had to order custom made? Maybe I'm wrong? Knowing that I can't spend a butt-load I'd rather choose a standard tank, but I'd like to get a 36x36x24. I don't think that is a standard size? I am going to do some research.

oceanic will add holes for a closed loop. and I dont think it is concidered custom, it just costs per hole, i think all glass is the same

Great news!!! My contractor was so excited about the tank he already framed it in under the staircase!! Here is what kind of real estate I have to work with. 48" long by 24" high. I imagine I could probably go about three feet deep. Would you guys please help me in this venture? Know that I know exactly what kind of space I have we can get going!!!

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^:

Last edited:
That's awesome anthony!! How much room will you have above the tank and behind the tank? Will this be another in wall tank? Lets see some PICS!!!

Yes this is an inwall. I really don't know how much room is above it. We were in a hurry tonight. My very first post has how much room is behind it...duh..anyway I can't wait to start designing this. First I need to decide on a tank though. I need help!!! It is very hard for me to make decisions like that.

From anthonies first post he only has a total depth of 4 feet. you make it 3 feet deep add a closed loop to the back of that thing you'll have to adopt an ethiopian to clean that thing.

If you go three feet, could you put a section of wall etc avove the tank that could be lifted up for maintenance from the front?

Some concerns? Trust me with a closet humidity is an issue and i'll i have in mine is the skimmer, so get them to drop a vent from your AC unit in the closet also it will greatly help with the humidity and the heat.

If you have a crawl space and could use a section of the garage the posibilities are unlimited. Is this an option?

Give us some more details/Pictures of this area and it will better help us help you.

OK...I took some more measurements today. I am thinking that 30" maximum is as deep as I could go. Since this is under the stairs I have at the least 7" above the tank for the lighting system. That would put the lights right on top of the tank. Thanks for the input Brandon. Since my last tank was an inwall I am familiar with the heat and humidity issues. I ran an air vent into my tank room last time and that proved invaluable. I'm def. doing that again. I have a crawl space below the tank and do not wish to run anything down there. Total space inside the closet is about 6'x4'. I got a few more ideas today. Right now I really need advise on a tank.

Btyan - You mentioned you could help with a tank. I am looking at a 48"x30"x24" tank. Any suggestions???

if all glass or oceanic make it I can probly get a discount. but honestly I would probly go with a standard 120 - 48x24x24 it would be much cheaper and easier to find. I could check and see how much a allglass would be, and how much it would cost to drill a couple closed loop holes.

That would be a great size Bryan. What I need the most help with is the closed loop system. Like where to drill the holes, what kind of pump, etc. If you could check about that size tank I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if there is anything else I can post to help you guys help me.

well the closed loop is kinda up to you. dave probly has more experience in that department than me. but basically you need to decide how you want to do your returns. then decide how many holes need to be drilled and where. you could mount your closed loop return or returns kinda like brandons main returns on his tank, that would save from drilling those holes, then you would only need to drill the hole or holes for the suction side of the loop. the 120 already has dual megaflow overlows, so theres already good turnover rate and upper - mid - and lower water suction points. I would almost think you could drill one large bulkhead in the center of the back glass, then mount a pump (maybe a mag 750,950) then tee off of it with a squid, which would then feed two return on either side of the tank. that would give you a good back and forth motion. just and idea. anybody see a problem with that idea?

Last edited:
Back