cyano bloom

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
So my tank has been up for 1 1/2 months, I have two clowns and a foxface with a CUC of 8 Astrea snails, 2 Turbo snails, 2 Margarita snails, 20 Nassirus snails, 2 hermits, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp

this is a 75G by the way

my day lights are on from 10-6 and actinic's are on from 9-7...they are new ATI bulbs

I am running a NWB150 protein skimmer, MP40 and a 425 GPH straight at the surface...yes I have an RODI unit and do 8G WC's weekly

I also have chaeto in my refugium along with a phosban reactor, my levels are AMM 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phos 0

I noticed that cyano is starting to grow on two rocks and a little on the sand, is this just new tank syndrome and how can I fight this...maybe cut back on lights?

I fought it for about a month. Tried the basics, turned off lights for a few days (temporarily helped), changed bulbs, and just siphoned it out. Then, just like that, it was all gone and never came back. My tank has been up for three months now and not a trace of cyano. I think it'll go away on its own. Siphon it out to make yourself feel better though :)

Although you have the mp40, make sure you're getting some sort of flow in the areas where you see the cyno trying to grow. Cyno grows in low flow areas where a lot of crap can accumulate up.

I would put another powerhead in there but my corals close up if my MP40 is at 100%...the cyano is on the rocks right in front of the MP40 which is weird and there is some on the sand right under where my return is for the sump

Back