Cyano observation / theory

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I've noticed something about cyano and have formulated a completely UN-scientific opinion. It seems that cyano forms on rocks that are not mature (meaning no coraline or other algaes). Here is how I arrived at my "theory":

I set up a 55 gal in Oct 2009 with some cured rock from my LFS and new aragonite sand. There was no visible coraline on the rocks it but there was some life (pods, bristleworms, brittle stars, etc). Cyano appeared on the rocks and sand within a few months and it took many months to get rid of it.

I set up a 90 gal two months ago and layered it with new aragonite on the bottom and the existing sand from the 55 on top of that. Purchased new base rock from MarcoRocks and used my existing rock from the 55 which is 85% covered in coraline and one piece partially covered in turf algae, ball anemones, feather dusters, etc. I mixed the old and new rock throughout the tank so that the coraline would cover the new rocks quicker.

I just noticed some cyano starting on the rocks but it's only on the new rocks, none of the existing "mature" rocks.

Wondering if it has something to do with the mature rocks being able to break down the cyano and the new rocks not having enough "good" bacteria to eradicate it.

No laughing at my terminilogy. :lol: As I mentioned, it's totally unscientific and this is just my experience. I'm hoping some of the more experienced reefers will chime in and tell me if there is any real science to this!

hm, you sure your not confusing cyano with diatoms? They kind of look similar. If your positive its cyano then what you can do to get rid of it would be, replace your light bulbs if there old and do a few nice water changes.

Last edited:
my advise would be just syphon out the cyano, do a few nice water changes, and cut back on feeding. how old are the bulbs your running? Older bulbs cause cyano blooms as well in addition to a high nutrient level.

Last edited:
Thanks cageburn. Maybe I should have explained in more detail. I know the recommended procedures to get rid of it and used these on the 55. My post was more of an observation than a request for advice on removal.

my apologies, I get ahead of myself sometimes. I would think that the cyano is feeding off the excess nutrients in the tank, it needs light and nutrients to survive and uncured rock really doesent provide any of that.

I would think that the cyano is feeding off the excess nutrients in the tank, it needs light and nutrients to survive and uncured rock really doesent provide any of that.

That makes sense. The red spots are on the top of the rock where they are receiving the most light and uneaten food would likely land and get trapped. That being said, the same light/nutrient situation is happening on other rocks also. I just wondered if the mature rocks were able to break down the nutrients better.

Thats the explanation then :), correct the cured rocks can break down nutrients and food much better, due to the fact that there is no bacteria on the new rock it cant break down the food, thus giving you cyano.

That makes sense. The red spots are on the top of the rock where they are receiving the most light and uneaten food would likely land and get trapped. That being said, the same light/nutrient situation is happening on other rocks also. I just wondered if the mature rocks were able to break down the nutrients better.

Thats a pretty interesting theory. My cyano in question in my thread i started is on a rock that was previously in a tank but i left it out when given to me and scrubbed it and let it sit for about 2 months then eventually put it in. It appears its the only rock with this algae on it...so maybe...just maybe..you might be onto somethin. But then again i havent been able to properly identify the the algae in my tank.

Dana: Sounds like between the scrubbing and letting it sit out, the beneficial bacteria died off. I guess it's just a waiting game until the new rocks are able to process.

I tried all of the options below and still fought it for months in my 55 gal.

Increasing the flow does dislodge the cyano from the rock but it seems to me that it's just blowing it around in the tank. It's going to land somewhere and if the place it lands is optimum for growth, bam! there you go, more cyano.

Siphoning it off the rock/substrate works to some degree but you will never get all of it. Again, it's somewhere in the water column and will take hold on a vulnerable spot.

Lights out helps also but as soon as the lights go back on....<sigh>....it's back.

Back