Cyano out-break.

AnthonyTheNewbie

Reef enthusiast
How do I get rid of it? It's taking over my 29g Biocube, as well as Bubble Algae. I'm going to pick up a few more Emerald Crabs for the Biocube to hopefully combat the Bubble Algae, but I'm at a loss for the Cyano. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have a huge amount in there, just the normal pump that came with the tank. And, my nitrates are at 5ppms in that tank, and phosphate I'm not sure, gota find my test kit for it.

Try cutting your lights off for 2 days, and the day you cut them back on, perform a large water change...somewhere around 40-50%. You're using ro/di water right? Because a small amount of tds in the water can make a difference.

I've been using tap water since day one. Got 4 set ups running with it too. I'm going to try and do what Smitty said with the lights, and add some more flow like Erin said. Thanks guys. :)

i would really think about a RO/DI it will help if there is any chance your tap water has nitrates or phosphates in it i got mine off ebay its a 6 stage for 100 bux and it works good

When I get the upgrade I'm going to just buckle down and get the RO/DI at the same time. I'm pretty sure the Cyano came from a Turbo I got from my LFS. Under his lighting it just looked like coralline algae growing on it, but when I got it home it was definitely more red then purple. Then, a couple of days later, I notice it breaking out everywhere. Introduced a small amount, and plenty of nutrients later, out-break. Yaaaay :grumble:. Cut the feedings to once a day, did a 40 pct water change, and it's been lights out for about 24 hours (Except for the feeding). My fiancee was very bothered that I was leaving the lights out. "Won't the corals die if you don't turn the lights on?" was her argument. "Is it always sunny over the ocean" I asked her calmly. "Well.... no" she said. Ha. Love winning our little debates :bounce:

Bubble Algae will not damage your fish or plant, but if you want to rid off it, you can make an Algae Scrubber.

This thread maybe help you.

https://www.livingreefs.com/lowest-...-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae-t41398.html

How do I get rid of it? It's taking over my 29g Biocube, as well as Bubble Algae. I'm going to pick up a few more Emerald Crabs for the Biocube to hopefully combat the Bubble Algae, but I'm at a loss for the Cyano. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Back