cyano

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by cthegame, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cthegame

cthegame

Hey guys,

I know that new tanks go thru the stages of alage which is normal. Firstthe brown stuff, then the gree hair and then cyano. I seem to be stuck on cyano for a while now. But lately it has become out of control. Its everywhere on the sand, back glass and now its starting to cover my LR.

In all honesty, i have no clue where all this nutrition is coming from. I feed my tank the bare minimum every other day. I dont use tap water, my ammionia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0. When i clean the tank and remove as much of the cyano as i can, within hours, i see the sand turning red again.

I have two questions: 1. Is this normal? if so, how long does this cyano stage last? 2. Can i do more frequent water changes. Say like 5 gallongs every other day until the cyano is gone? or would that stress the tank.

Thanks for your help. This algae is the worst kind i have ever experienced. I guess back then i should have appreciated the green & brown alage as they were alot easier to control than this cyano.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
    cthegame, Feb 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cthegame

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yeah it's normal and it sucks and it can take months to clear up. Went through the same thing with my tank a few months back. Also try taking a turkey baster and blasting your rocks and sand off.

Bifferwine, Feb 5, 2008
    cthegame likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. cthegame

cthegame

This has been well over a month for me. Even over two months probably.

Is this something that will go away on its own or do i need to actively fight it until the battle is won.

Is the more frequent water change (every other day) ok here or is it too much?

cthegame, Feb 5, 2008
  4. cthegame

reeffreak

What inhabitants do you have now?Doing water changes that often with fish and corals can be stressful,opening the door to diseases and other ailments.How long a cyano outbreak last really all depends on your systems nutrient,lighting,flow,foods,inhabitants etc.There just way to many variable to be sure.When I did get a cyano outbreak it lasted about a month.Consider doing some of these things.

Increase flow-I find that cyano has a hard time getting a hold where there are turbulent high flow.

Food-frozen food is the best IMO.Many people will steer you away from flakes and pellets.Something to do with ash/phosphate leading to algae blooms.I would minimize using them and stick with the high quality stuff.The only pellets I feed is the ORA glow,expensive little bag of fish food but it says its ash and phosphate free.

Lighting-cut back on lighting if you don't have corals or any photosynthetic animals that needs it.I don't recommend turning the lights off completely for days.It will cause a significant drop in pH and without removing the source it will come back anyways.

Media-I find this the best solution.Run a phosphate media,better yet....run phosphate media and good activated carbon.Run it where water flows through it at a slow to moderate rate and not passively.

It will take time but you will get through it.
    Good luck!

reeffreak, Feb 5, 2008
    cthegame likes this.
  5. cthegame

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Biff and Reefs got it covered pretty good.
    A good media to run is Chemi-pure Elite.Its got the carbon along with some stuff for phosphates.

yote, Feb 5, 2008
    cthegame likes this.
  6. cthegame

cthegame

Thanks. I guess I will keep at it. I will try the less light suggestion. I do have lights on 24/7 on my fuge so PH shouldn't be affected that drastically.

I never used phosphate removers before. I'll give that a try asap.

Other than that, the only other factor is that my flow is at the bare minimum i have about 1,200 GPH. I will upgrade this later on when i can afford it.

Hopefully the phosphate remover will make a huge difference.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
    cthegame, Feb 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question