Cyano

stagofdoom

Phi Kappa Psi
I think im going to go crazy because of cyano.
I do 2 water changes a week and i scrub it off with a tooth brush.
Its killed part of my coral
What can I do to get rid of it.

Welcome to "The Battle of the Cyano". If you're system is new, then its something you probably cannot avoid and have to keep fighting to eventually win. In time as your water matures, you will win but in the meantime, keep doing your water changes (make sure you dont use tap water), try running phosphate remover and have your light on less. Remove as much of the cyano as you can as that will help slow down growth.

Its going to take some time for it to fully disappear. Doing this for a week or two might not be enough. Just be patient and stay consistent and eventually im sure you will be victorious...

Charge!!!

The cyano shows that your gettin there.:mrgreen:Once you get it beat down,then you get to try your hand at hair algae.
Keep doing your water changes and siphoning out what of it you can.Run some kind of phosphate removes.ie,phos-guard,phos-ban,chemi-pure elite.You can also get some stuff call Marine SAT.Its good on cyano.
Also try leaving the lights off for 3 or 4 days,that will slow it it down a lot.

I did the lights... I cant do that now because of my coral.. which the cyano is slowly but surly killing.. but ive kept it off the coral

Ive got phos-guard and ill check out marine sat

Turning the lights off for a few days wont bother your coral at all.Its not bright and sunny every day on the reef.There are days and even weeks at a time where its cloudy,rainy,and stormy out there.

you need to find the source of the problem: too many nutrients - dead things, too much food, too much poop / high bioload. Unless you fix it, you will keep having problems. Adding more live rock gives more room for the good bacteria to break down the crap in your tank before it goes bad (I ain't no scientist, so I don't know all the technical terms).

You can get a good boost with chemi-clean, a powder that is reef safe the will totally annihilate your cyano in three days. The only problem is that cyano will eventually build up an immunity to it and it won't work anymore. No one knows how many times it takes to create the resistance, but it will work for sure one time. If you don't fix the excess nutrient problem, it will come back.

-Doc

I've been fighting it for awhile now. I've tried everything. Everyone tells me to chill. Well it's pissing me off. When I think I got it under control. The algae fairy drops in. It's getting to where all I do is suction that crap out.

I've been fighting it for awhile now. I've tried everything. Everyone tells me to chill. Well it's pissing me off. When I think I got it under control. The algae fairy drops in. It's getting to where all I do is suction that crap out.

Just keep telling yourself that it'll eventually go away and never return.:mrgreen:

It is so freaking frustrating at times that I just want to scream. When I'm cleaning the crap out that is not the time to be even in the room. You might just get hit by a flying object. Today is my off day. Will take out a few gallons tomorrow.

give it time it will go away when i set up my tank eight years ago i battled algae for a year. but now i have none just keep up the battle and you will win.

Back