Cyano?

Keaton

Reefing newb
Does cyano ever grow to the point where it resembles hair algae? I have an algae that is tall and dark black/purple and my critters aren't eating it. In the past my emeralds and turbos have just mowed the hair algae down but not this time. Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks

No it looks like a hair algae in that it grows tall and stringy but it's a deep purple and at the top it tapers off to resemble a feather. I'll try and post a pic after dinner.

Eh I think I left my camera at my shop. I'll have to post some in the morning. Does cyano even grow tall or is it just a flat slimey type of algae?

Cyano is slimy and when touched it wipes off. Also if it gets bad enough it'll float around in the tank and cling onto anything. I had it and it took me over a month to get rid of it.

Here's a pic of whatever it is. I just did my tests and my parameters are as follows: Temp-78
Nitrates-10ppm
Nitrite-0
Ammo-0
pH-8.4

It has been going away since i changed my lighting timers, decreased feeding and put Phosban in my sump so i think I've got it under control. Here's a pic anyway.
Thanks

Ignore the aiptasia i'm working on them too :)

cyano.jpg

Back