Cyanobacteria problem,

saber2th

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

I take care of a 65 gal. tank(fish only). This tank has been up and running for 5 yrs. Maybe 6 months ago the tank started getting some Cyanobacteria. The parameters have been the same before this started. At the advice of my LFS I treated it with Maracin after a WC. Still came back. Tried this again with the same results. Then I tried Chemi-Clean by Boyds and changed out the old 18" bulbs. And redirected the return line to get some current in that area. It still came back!:frustrat:
If anyone can help me with some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.......................Dave

Are you using RO/DI water for water changes?
Have you checked for Nitrate and Phosphate?Is somebody overfeeding? I would get a RO/DI unit or buy water.Tap water contains high nutrient levels like phosphate/nitrate which can feed the cyno/algae.You can buy water at Walmart(never bought it,some here have).I buy my saltwater from LFS.I tested there water and it is excellent,but some may not be.

Do water changes and suck as much as you can get out thru the tube.
I had use a red slime algae remover that came in a powder with good results,but I'm afraid that would only be a temporary fix.

Best of Luck with it,I know how cyno takes away the beauty of a tank.

reeffreak said:
Are you using RO/DI water for water changes?
Have you checked for Nitrate and Phosphate?Is somebody overfeeding?

Right now I'm using top water, I was using bottled water at first. This is when I started getting the Cyanobacteria. The tank owner then had me start using tap water.
His Nitrates are high(don't remember the #), but they always have been. I only clean this tank once a month.
Never tested for phosphates. I do use the filter pads for removing phosphates.
He insists that he is not over feeding.

Thanks................Dave

I'd bet that the tap water is contributing to high nitrates, which is causing the algae. Test the tap water before you add it to the tank, high nitrates and phosphates are a surefire way to cause an algae outbreak.

If he's using flakes or pellets,he may try switching to frozen.I fought cyno for 3 months before I switched to frozen food,and within a week of switching,it was gone.

Low Ph will cause a cyno outbreak also. The myacin has probably killed most of your biological bed/bacteria. so it would not be surprising if the system does not go trough another cycle in the short term. you will need to do a complete round of testing on the water parameters to see what is causing the problem. also I would need to know your maintenance routine, water changes, amounts, additives, bio load, and feeding amounts and types. without that information its difficult to form an opinion. something has changed recently or the system has just entered a new stage at 6 years, unfortunately adding chemicals is not the correct way to go with a mature system. more information needed. I would say that with high nitrates, most likely silicates, and possibly other parameters out you most likely have more than one thing contributing to the problem. sorry i cant be more specific but not enough information bout the system to be of any help, basically cyno needs food, temp, light, poor water circulation, and sometimes fluctuating pH (too low). keep us posted. more info and I can maybe help a bit more.

Thanks for all of your time and thoughts!
I might go there this weekend just to check up on the tank. I'll gather more of the info and post it then. I will also have him turn off the lights for 3 days.

Thanks again.......................Dave

Back