Cycle ?'s

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I am 2 weeks into my cycle and Diatoms have started to appear along with some Hair Algae. I am doing a fishless cycle using a raw table shrimp. I am running my lights and skimmer through the cycle. I am running my lights through the cycle because the 20lbs of Live Rock I used to seed my dry rock has several colonies of GSP's and a few Mushroom Corals.​

? #1 - Is Hair Algae a normal part of the cycle (I am also running a Phosban Reactor w/ Rowaphos) Phosphate has never shown more than a slight trace on testing so far.​

? #2 - I used Seachem Stability for the 1st week of the cycle for the benefit of the corals on the Live Rock so I was wondering if this was going to affect my Ammonia Spike. My Ammonia level has not gone over 0.50 and I tested it today and it seems to be going down to 0.25 (today) How much of an Ammonia spike reading can I expect?​

? #3 - My NO2 Nitrite has never gone over 0.25 and today is 0. How much of a spike should I expect for NO2​

? #4 - My NO3 Nitrate has never gone over 0.50 and today is 0. How much of a spike should I expect for NO3​

Water Parameters tested today are
PH - 8.0 - 8.2 Consistantly since cycle started
Ammonia - 0.25
NO2 Nitrite - 0
NO3 Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - Maybe a slight trace (it's hard to tell if there is any color difference in the test kit) so it might be 0.25
SG 1.024​

Tank Specs:
70 Gallon tall
30 Gallon Sump
Temp. 78.5 consistanly
Phosban Reactor
Vertex N100 Skimmer
API Test Kit​

It looks like your ammonia may be on the downswing

Its hard to say exactly what readings you'll get, but you'll see a spike in Ammonia, followed afterwards by a spike in nitrite.

Nitrate does not 'spike' you'll always have to deal with nitrates (most people address them with regular water changes)

My Ammonia has not gone over 0.50 yet. It seems to be on the down swing at the moment. My Nitrite has only got up to 0.25 and tested 0 today.

Back