cycle

bullitt21

Reefing newb
tanks has been running for 2 weeks with 125 of live rock.numbers are.nitrite0,nitrate0,ammonia0 and ph8.2-8.4.they haven't changed since it has been running.do you think it went through its cycle ? i got all my live rock here local and there are snails,crabs,little starfish(all through the rocks),worms and i think feather worms.and they have been doing great.what do you guy,gals think?

I'd say two week's isn't enough time. I've seen tanks that take months to cycle. IMO I'd keep testing and wait a few more weeks to see what the results are. Getting in a hurry will only end up ugly.

I'd give it one more week. If nothing changes, then add one or two fish. It's very possible that you skipped a cycle by using cured rock.

+1 biff. There is a chance your tank skipped the cycle but just to be on the safe side, waiting would be a good idea. I would also take a sample water to your LFS to have them test it and confirm all the readings you're getting.

ok thanks.iam not in a hurry just asking ?'s.i bought a couple of small hermits just to see if they would make it and they have been ok for a week.i dont plan on buying anything till after the holidays.thanks again

by the way what is a good test kit.i have two and they both read the same.one is made by aquarium pharmaceuticals and the other is a red sea marine lab.they are both brand new and read the same.:-?

Well I wouldn't say they are bad test kit's. I've never used them thou. I use Salifert and Elos. I know a lot of reefer's who use the Lamont (sp) test kits.

But no matter what kit it's alway's nice to have the LFS test it against your's. If there readings are close then your kit's are good. It's just double checking really. I do it everytime I goto the LFS cause check it for free.

Back