Cycling a Tank with Dead Rock/Sand

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So for my last tank I went with live sand and live rock but this time I wanted use dry rock and sand to save money and avoid hitchhikers. I am just wondering how does this change the cycling process and time frame. Most of the guides on here are for using live sand and rock so I just wanted to know if there will be any difference.

Thanks
Shep

Every tank cycles differently so it is difficult to give you a precise time frame. Even using dead rock and sand I like to throw a piece of raw table shrimp in there to kick off the cycle.
I have had it take anywhere from 1-3 weeks when starting with all dead rock and sand. It can take longer but I have never experienced it.

Thanks, I went with the shrimp trick to start everything off but I am just wondering if it will play out any differently or follow the usual path?

Thanks, I went with the shrimp trick to start everything off but I am just wondering if it will play out any differently or follow the usual path?

By usual path do you mean the algae bloom?if so,then yes it will.Also,going all dry rock and sand you will need to add live bacteria.This stuff works great,there are others but I'm only familiar with this product.On local reefers recommendation,the stuff really does make the cycling period and beyond much smoother.I stopped after the first couple of months but I have been thinking of continuing using it.You could also seed with a piece of live instead.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Prodibio...onditioners-Prodibio-PD01112-FIADWTBS-vi.html

By usual path do you mean the algae bloom?if so,then yes it will.Also,going all dry rock and sand you will need to add live bacteria.This stuff works great,there are others but I'm only familiar with this product.On local reefers recommendation,the stuff really does make the cycling period and beyond much smoother.I stopped after the first couple of months but I have been thinking of continuing using it.You could also seed with a piece of live instead.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Prodibio...onditioners-Prodibio-PD01112-FIADWTBS-vi.html
So I went ahead and added a bacteria additive to the tank, I used the instant ocean Bio-spira. How true is it when it says "allows instant addition of fish". I am a bit doubtful of it but I have never used one before, reviews were for the most part all positive but did not really mention this part.

So I went ahead and added a bacteria additive to the tank, I used the instant ocean Bio-spira. How true is it when it says "allows instant addition of fish". I am a bit doubtful of it but I have never used one before, reviews were for the most part all positive but did not really mention this part.

I've seen people add fish and corals the very next day using the Prodibio but I would never risk it.The diatom bloom did go very fast though.

Back